Topic Options
#6062 - 07/21/06 08:16 AM Isolation question
PJ Offline

I am working on a multi building facility in a non-seismic zone. The client is suggesting to design the pipe rack which runs as a spine with buildings branching off each side, such that in the event of a building collapse there is isolation and the rack will not tear down additional buildings. I know there are u-bend type isolators with flexible joints available, but I have never designed to these conditions before. Does anyone have any experience, suggestions? My initial response is that it's unnecessary and flexibility could be designed into the piping that would sufficiently handle this or, designing to a catastrophic event is overkill... There are no code requirements that I have been able to find that would necesitate this type of criteria. Any advice would be appreciated.

#6063 - 07/21/06 12:25 PM Re: Isolation question
SLH Offline

Loc: Edmonton
You did say "non seismic zone", right? So "just in case a building happens to collapse?" Perhaps you should suggest designing the buildings so that they don't randomly collapse instead

(joke, it was a joke)
Shannon

Quote:
Originally posted by PJ:
I am working on a multi building facility in a non-seismic zone. The client is suggesting to design the pipe rack which runs as a spine with buildings branching off each side, such that in the event of a building collapse there is isolation and the rack will not tear down additional buildings. I know there are u-bend type isolators with flexible joints available, but I have never designed to these conditions before. Does anyone have any experience, suggestions? My initial response is that it's unnecessary and flexibility could be designed into the piping that would sufficiently handle this or, designing to a catastrophic event is overkill... There are no code requirements that I have been able to find that would necesitate this type of criteria. Any advice would be appreciated.

#6064 - 07/21/06 01:41 PM Re: Isolation question
John C. Luf Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
I have never heard of anything like this..... Wow
confused confused confused confused eek eek eek

John C. Luf

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics