Dear Expats,

I am doing a stress analysis for a 16” Heavy fuel oil underground pipe line. In here the line is connected from existing tie in points which are already in underground portions. The total underground pipe length is around 75 kms and it has both ends are anchored. Our new rerouted underground pipe line is around 18 kms tie in with existing pipelines. From the tie in point to one end of anchor is 40 kms and other end of anchor in is 14 kms. All the portions are underground pipe lines only.

The line has a design temperature of 93 Deg Celsius /design pressure of 7501.5 Kpa and operating temperature of 50 Deg Celsius/ operating pressure of 3861.05 Kpa. When I perform stress analysis operating cases and expansion cases gets failed at all the elbow points for design case but it’s getting passed for operating case. My doubt in here is whether I have to do stress analysis for Design case or Operating case. As there is no pig launcher/ Receiver supports and as there is no thrust blocks in underground portion. I have rechecked the all the inputs and inputs are found ok.

Kindly advise me to whether I have to perform stress analysis underground pipe line for design condition or operating condition.