Topic Options
#58680 - 04/20/14 03:03 AM Modelling Discontinuous Sections of Pipe
Pickles Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi all,

I am currently analysing a buried piping system whereby it comes up to a riser valve loop at every 10m or so interval.
My scope is only to analyse the underground component of the system. I would like to analyse the entire system as one CAESAR II model. Every time it goes up to a riser I have defined this as an anchor point then run a dummy piece of pipe to the next buried section.

The above ground section by the way is a different material to the underground component. Not that this matters as I am not analysing the above section.

My questions are:

1. Is this the correct way of modelling this in terms of creating a 'space' between two buried sections. Should I be employing some kind of a Cnode?

2. Is there a way to remove the 'dummy' above ground section when I run the analysis?

If this does not work then I will just run each buried sections between the risers which while acceptable will result in about 100 different files instead of just the one.

Any help is appreciated. thanking you in advance.

#58683 - 04/20/14 12:00 PM Re: Modelling Discontinuous Sections of Pipe [Re: Pickles]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
If the sections really terminate in those anchors, you don't need the dummy rigid elements. Just code the disconnected segments, and when CAESAR II asks for the coordinates, specify each starting node appropriately. Try this with a couple of cantilevers first, to see how it works.

#58685 - 04/20/14 09:29 PM Re: Modelling Discontinuous Sections of Pipe [Re: Pickles]
Pickles Offline

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your prompt response and Happy Easter.

That was my thought too but for the life of me I can't find where I can input the starting coordinates for each segments. I can only see Global Coordinates (which only seems to be relevant to Node 10) and can see an OFFSET for each nodes but I don't think this is correct either.

Not that it matters but I am looking at piping rather than structural members. They all terminate unto concrete plinths hence the anchors.

Where exactly are these boxes where I can specify the starting coordinates of each segments?

Regards,

Pat

#58690 - 04/21/14 07:46 AM Re: Modelling Discontinuous Sections of Pipe [Re: Pickles]
Dave Diehl Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
If they really are "anchors" at the end of each buried section you need not include all your subsystems in a single model as no information (F, x)traveling through these anchors.
But you can include disconnected models in a single analysis. After defining a new section, from the Input Menu click on Edit; from that menu you will see Global - click on that to reset the global coordinates of each subsystem. Also Alt-G or locate the tool button.
(By default, all new subsystems use the model origin (0,0,0) as the start point.)
But are they really anchors?

#58694 - 04/21/14 08:45 AM Re: Modelling Discontinuous Sections of Pipe [Re: Pickles]
Pickles Offline

Hi Dave,

Thanks heaps -it works! Thanks too Richard. I did do Alt-G but didn't realise I needed to set Node 10 every time I do another line. Also didn't realise that it should be in metres rather than in mm which I was working in. Much appreciated.

Regards,

Pat

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics