Topic Options
#5780 - 06/11/06 08:24 PM To Moderators
shorustress Offline

Loc: Italy
I suggesst, new posts be moderated first and then published for discussion if the new topic is worth a discussion.

After so many discussions that are already here, there is a trend of same questions being asked by some new users all over again.

Also there is a need to prevent harsh responses from some self-promoted experts who tend to attack the relatively inexperienced with sarcaism. This needs to stop absolutely. Such remarks are against any kind of ethics and are unfortunately being practiced here, with the silent encouragement from the forum moderators.

So, I repeat, let the people send it for review first and then let the moderators post it, at which point the question asked can be taken as a valid one.

#5781 - 06/11/06 09:04 PM Re: To Moderators
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Quote:
I suggesst, new posts be moderated first and then published for discussion if the new topic is worth a discussion.
We don't want to do that - what is worthy to one may not be to another. Not to mention the time involved. The purpose of the forums is to allow users to help one another, and to serve as a continually growing knowledge base.

Quote:
After so many discussions that are already here, there is a trend of same questions being asked by some new users all over again.
Yes this is a problem. Education (on how to use the forums) and how to research is the answer. Someone coming here is halfway there.

Quote:
Also there is a need to prevent harsh responses from some self-promoted experts who tend to attack the relatively inexperienced with sarcaism.
These forums are relatively calm compared to most, and everyone has differing degrees of sensitivity. The goal is not to sensor anything, unless it is truely offensive or vulgar.

#5782 - 06/12/06 02:50 AM Re: To Moderators
SUPERPIPER Offline

Loc: Europe
Quote:
Originally posted by shorustress:

Also there is a need to prevent harsh responses from some self-promoted experts who tend to attack the relatively inexperienced with sarcaism. This needs to stop absolutely. Such remarks are against any kind of ethics and are unfortunately being practiced here, with the silent encouragement from the forum moderators.

So, I repeat, let the people send it for review first and then let the moderators post it, at which point the question asked can be taken as a valid one.
Couldn't agree less.

#5783 - 06/12/06 03:08 AM Re: To Moderators
SUPERPIPER Offline

When I use a car, I have training and gain a license

When I buy VCR, I read the instructions.

When I do piping design I complete an apprentice
(A rare enough thing these days)

Now when I do PIPING STRESS ANALYSIS, I
a) Read the pertinent code
b) Read the Caesar help Guides.
c) Attend course(s)
d) In absence of a/b/c have the supervision of a seasoned professional.

Before I attempt an analysis.

What annoys some of the more experienced people here is when novices ask lazy questions.

Novices should not be doing (solo) analysis with out the assistance of a senior engineer.
So questions like 'how do I do analysis?' on this forum, annoy the people who actually take time and effort to read and learn before asking questions.

Ask stupid questions by all means, (I have, lots of times)
But at least have the respect of your peers and do some fundamental research before posting.

I personally thing the Likes of Breen, Luf, Becht, are priceless and would be concerned if they no longer wished to share there knowledge.

#5784 - 06/12/06 09:48 AM Re: To Moderators
SUPERPIPER Offline

http://www.fordgalaxy.org.uk/ford/index.php?showtopic=7886

An example of how common FAQs should be posted like:
"Why no overstress in the OPE case?" :rolleyes:

#5785 - 06/12/06 09:58 AM Re: To Moderators
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
SuperPiper,

I still think this (FAQ) idea is a good one. However, the links have to be built manually - which isn't that big of a deal. But, by the end of the summer, the Vendor of this "forum software" will be releasing their new product (not a new version, a new product). This (UBB) software will no longer be supported.

I plan on moving these forums to the new product. So I'll wait unitl after the move, to build FAQs with links to other posts. I'd hate to do that now, then find that the move fouled up all the links.

#5786 - 06/12/06 04:59 PM Re: To Moderators
John C. Luf Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Yeah and I helped booger this one up in the 2004 Ed of B31.3....
"Why no overstress in the OPE case?"

I think if people would simply use search they would cover most of their questions! By the same token some of the people are unlikely to do anything by their own efforts they simply want someone else to do their homework for them.

John C. Luf

#5787 - 06/13/06 07:21 AM Re: To Moderators
El Gringo Offline

Loc: Colombia
Shorustress,

I suspect the majority of this forum empathize with your comment, “... there is a need to prevent harsh responses from some self-promoted experts who tend to attack the relatively inexperienced with sarcasm.” Regrettably, we must accept that “sarcasm” from “self-promoted experts” is the inevitable bane of discussion forums where the ill-mannered, the dull-witted, the self-aggrandized and the downright ignorant can hide beneath the anonymity of a website login. But in among the pompously fatuous harangues of a sad minority you will find learned discourse on this forum. The recent post entitled, “Pressure Stiffening Ver. 5.0” provides a superb example. Look at the excellent and lucid responses from Breen and Anindya.

That said, I offer this suggestion: I have been an avid devotee of the CAESAR II Forum since its early beginnings. Over the years I have learned that there are a small number of true experts whose opinions and answers to questions herein are knowledgeable, accurate, clear, and concise. I made a list of such members (formerly taped to my computer screen but now firmly committed to memory) and looked for their names during an occasional scan of the forum. The “directory” feature of the forum, I discovered, was also an excellent way to catch up on discussions from favorite members. Give it a try. Make a list of the members you consider most knowledgeable (I suspect it will be as short as mine). And don’t forget to watch for responses from our excellent moderators. What you’ll learn from the more talented elements of this group will more than compensate for the tedious rantings of the ignorant few.

Regards,

#5788 - 06/14/06 10:57 AM Re: To Moderators
sam Offline

Loc: Maharastra, India
Once a disciple asked Lord Buddha why He sits above while teaching lessons - he mildly answered that he never sits above, but seekers sit below as water of knowledge flows downwards.

In this age of fallibility (courtesy George Soros), we have such an excellent forum to help us from M/s Coade with so many helpful mentors is itself a great thing!

regards,

sam

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics