Topic Options
#54018 - 04/19/13 03:50 AM Rating of Standard Flange for Nozzles on Jacket
ashaykadam Offline

Loc: India
I have designed a vessel with Jacket in PVElite 2013 which has Main Vessel Design Pressure as 19 Kg/cm2 and Jacket having Design Pressure as 3.3 Kg/cm2.

It was observed that when the Standard Flange rating of #150 is selected for Nozzle 'N1' located on Jacket an error appears that "Flange Rating: 18.253 kgf/cm2 < than Design Pressure."

Here I would like to mention that the Design Pressure for Jacket is 3.3 Kg/cm2 and #150 shall be sufficient considering pressure-temperature as per ASME B 16.5.

I think there is a bug in the PVElite which by wrongly compares rating of nozzles on Jacket with Design Pressure of Main Vessel instead of Design Pressure of Jacket.

Attaching the native PVElite 2013 file herewith.

(I have designed the equipment in PVElite 2013 which generates the native file with ‘.pvdb’ extension. However, this forum does not allow attaching files with ‘.pvdb’ extension. Hence, I have changed the extension of the PVElite 2013 file to ‘.pvi’ manually. Please change this to ‘.pvdb’ before opening it in PVElite 2013 at your end.)

Please inform your views on the same.

Attachments
TEST.pvi (431 downloads)
Main Vessel Design Data.jpg

Jacket Design Data.jpg

Nozzle Design Data.jpg

Ashay Kadam
Chief Engineer
Mechanical Department

Uhde India Private Limited
Uhde House, LBS Marg,
Vikhroli (W), Mumbai 400083, India

Mail to: Ashay.Kadam@thyssenkrupp.com

#54037 - 04/21/13 01:12 AM Re: Rating of Standard Flange for Nozzles on Jacket [Re: ashaykadam]
Mak Offline

Loc: india
You can do the separate analysis for jacket to nozzle reinforcement check considering that your nozzle is not penetrating the inside vessel shell.

PVElite can’t understand that this nozzle is located on jacket because there is no such option to locate nozzle on jacket in this software.
Contact No: - 9967949656

#54046 - 04/22/13 12:18 AM Re: Rating of Standard Flange for Nozzles on Jacket [Re: ashaykadam]
ashaykadam Offline

Loc: India
Dear Makrand,

Thanks for your reply.

PVElite checks whether the nozzle is on Jacket or on Shell (nozzle penetrating through jacket) based on the internal projection given as input in the Nozzle Window), i.e. whether the nozzle internal projection is less than the jacket width or not. If the nozzle internal projection is equal to or more than the Jacket width, then the nozzle is considered on shell.

In my test.pvi file itself if you increase the internal projection of nozzle on Jacket to 150mm, it will consider that the nozzle is located on Shell (& not on Jacket) and then it will perform calculations based on the Design Pressure as Shell, i.e. 19 Kg/cm2.

I feel it will be better if the same programming is used for nozzle flange to check it’s temperature-pressure rating.

Ashay Kadam
Chief Engineer
Mechanical Department

Uhde India Private Limited
Uhde House, LBS Marg,
Vikhroli (W), Mumbai 400083, India

Mail to: Ashay.Kadam@thyssenkrupp.com

#54124 - 04/24/13 04:34 AM Re: Rating of Standard Flange for Nozzles on Jacket [Re: ashaykadam]
mitulpatel126 Offline

Loc: Vadodara,India
Ashay Sir,

Nice post!!!

This seems to be problem in programming for flange rating check.We can raise such issue to support team via e-customet account.Which was insisted in one of the training programme by intergraph for better & fast resolution.

https://crmweb.intergraph.com/ecustomer_enu/start.swe?SWECmd=Start&SWEHo=crmweb.intergraph.com

Actually we have done one jacketed equipment in current project.But we have use codecalc because in that case it was Appendix-9 Type-2 jacket with channel side of heat exchanger completely covered with jacket both shell & head.

Pvelite Integral module can not design type-2 jacket.

One more problem with jacketed vessels design is Hydrotest pressure even if you have set UG-99(b) or (c) it does calculation as per design pressure only.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics