Topic Options
#53395 - 03/13/13 10:50 AM Weight of the pipe W Vs Water Weight (WW+HP)
runner Offline

Loc: INDIA
Hi to all,
When I compare restraint loads of weight of the pipe (W)as (primary load) to (WW+HP) Water weight and Hydro pressure, I notice WW+HP restraint values are less then weight of the pipe, I believe it should be more than the WW+HP.
I read in forum that when CII calculating WW+HP hydro it’s not calculated with corrosion, and sustain case it calculated with corrosion.
Can any one explain that weight of the pipe should be less than hydro pressure or not.

If anyone have this problem and got answer please reply me.

Thanks

#53396 - 03/13/13 11:36 AM Re: Weight of the pipe W Vs Water Weight (WW+HP) [Re: runner]
Jop Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Runner,
It sounds like you are trying to "comb frog's hair".

The dead load (weight) of pipe + water under static head
and
The dead load (weight) of pipe + water under Hydrotest Pressure

are the same (or so close that there is no way to see it).

Frog hair is so fine you cannot see it.

#53397 - 03/13/13 11:40 AM Re: Weight of the pipe W Vs Water Weight (WW+HP) [Re: runner]
arun_nambiar86 Offline

Loc: mumbai,india
it depends
if your service density is more than or equal to water density ur sustain load will be more than Hydro load and also insulation weight will not consider in hydro case (if you turned off in config file)and one more thing if you have spring that pulled in sustain which will not reflect in hydro as spring is locked in hydro case

#53398 - 03/13/13 12:22 PM Re: Weight of the pipe W Vs Water Weight (WW+HP) [Re: runner]
Ltorrado Offline

Loc: Metairie, LA
To first reply: I think he was referring to the weight difference of the load cases ([W+P1] vs. [WW+HP]), not the difference in weights due to pressure.

I agree with what was said right above. It depends on a few things:

- What type of fluid do you have? Is it heavier than water?
- If densities are the same for both test and operating fluid, then is the corrosion allowance big enough to cause these differences in weight? (what's the difference in force magnitudes?) Also, make sure you input your fluid density in the right units because standard is lbm/in^3 in Imperial.
- Does the line have insulation?
- Does the line have spring hangers/cans?

Or maybe even some mistakes could be the reason:
- Unlikely, but do you have displacements in your SUS case that you are not including in your HYD case? (even though this would make no sense since system is cold for both)
- Are you sure your Load Cases are set up correctly?
- Are you sure your Load Case Options are set up correctly? (check Springer Stiffness field for HYD case)

If it's none of this, then post the .CAESAR II file and let us take a look at it.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics