Topic Options
#52135 - 12/13/12 08:01 AM Unit conversion in modules
Arijit Offline

For conversion to a different set of units, Caesar-II allows us to readily achieve that for the *.CAESAR II files but is that also possible in the various modules of Caesar-II like the flange leakage, WRC, API-610, etc? If so how? Otherwise, is it not something which should be considered in the future editions.
I mean the present edition of Caesar-II is certainly fabulous in outlook but I certainly believe there is always scope of betterment, even´'non-technically' speaking!
Thanks in advance,

#52139 - 12/13/12 08:53 AM Re: Unit conversion in modules [Re: Arijit]
Dave Diehl Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
Units are assigned to model input when that model is created and remain with that model unless those units are converted by the user. This conversion is available through Tools on the Main Menu.
Output, on the other hand, is always displayed in the "current" units, independent of the model's (input) units. You can change the current in the folder's configuration file (also accessible from Tools).
Those outboard processors (e.g. API 610) also use current units for input and display (old) results in current units.
Is there something else you're looking for here?

#52160 - 12/14/12 04:02 AM Re: Unit conversion in modules [Re: Dave Diehl]
Arijit Offline

Dave,
Many thanks. To enquire further I must first be clear about the difference between the "Input unit file" and the "current unit file". Say I make my own unit file INPUT.fil and input everything by that. In attempting to do so, I´ll have to include this unit file in the *.cfg specification. What you are saying is that the output can be checked in different set of units, if desired? This is where I am confused. I´d like to know how that is done.
I am clear in understanding that the auxillary processors will use the same units as used in CAESAR II output and if I desire that these processors exhibit in a particular set of units I must change the units of the CAESAR II output processor through the *.cfg file.
Thanks,

Arijit

#52164 - 12/14/12 08:26 AM Re: Unit conversion in modules [Re: Arijit]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Quote:
What you are saying is that the output can be checked in different set of units, if desired? This is where I am confused. I´d like to know how that is done.

Just change the Configuration to point to a different units file. Output generated after that will be displayed using the newly selected units.

Quote:
if I desire that these processors exhibit in a particular set of units I must change the units of the CAESAR II output processor through the *.cfg file.

You change the units for everything (except the piping input) via the Configuration. As Dave stated above, the units used to create the piping input are retained in the input file.

#52166 - 12/14/12 08:40 AM Re: Unit conversion in modules [Re: Arijit]
Dave Diehl Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
Said another way...

All reports are displayed in "current" units. Current units are defined in the configuration file.
Piping input is assigned the "current" units that remain with the model, no matter how the "current" units may change. If you wish to change the model units, use the Tools option to do so.

Hint: CAESAR II always translates user units to its (US Customary) internal units in the input processors and translates these internal units to the assigned user units in output display. (That explains the occasional "rounding error" you may see on certain standards (e.g. API 610).)

#52169 - 12/14/12 09:25 AM Re: Unit conversion in modules [Re: Arijit]
Arijit Offline

Richard & Dave,
Thanks for the lucid explanation, as always. I will try out what you´ve explained. I´ll get back to this place for further queries, if any.

#52274 - 12/26/12 06:18 AM Re: Unit conversion in modules [Re: Arijit]
Arijit Offline

I tried what has been discussed above and the following are my findings:
1.When I want to create a new WRC file (for example; in the configuration file I have selected myunits.fil)I give a filename and when I select to browse and check whether the file is being saved in the folder I want, the software shows me the Unit file, which by default is the English.fil.
2.When I repeat step-1 without going to check the folder I am saving the file (in other words without the 'browse' option) the WRC processor chooses myunits.fil as the default set of units.
3.From the discussions above when I want to create a new CAESAR II file the units will be as per the *.fil file I choose in the configuration or have present in the folder/location where the CAESAR II file is being created (or by default the english.fil). But then I can change the units of the output by changing the configuration again (by choosing another *.fil) and that will be the same that will be used by the secondary processor.
Is this some kind of bug the strangeness in step-1&2?
Thanks in advance,

#52279 - 12/26/12 10:53 PM Re: Unit conversion in modules [Re: Arijit]
Richard Ay Offline

Obviously "1" and "2" should behave the same regarding units. I presume you are not switching directories with the [Browse] operation? If so, jumping into a different directory will activate the Configuration File there, which could be referencing a different set of units.

Please advise what version of CAESAR II you're using, so we can check this out in detail.

#52280 - 12/27/12 02:32 AM Re: Unit conversion in modules [Re: Richard Ay]
Arijit Offline

Sir,
While performing operation/steps 1 & 2 I am not switching directories. (your presumption is correct)
Well, jumping into a new directory will trigger CAESAR II to choose the *.fil file (as set in the configuration file) in that new location or the default option - english.fil.
I am using Caesar II 2011 R1 or version 5.31, (build 120525). What I fail to understand is even if the configuration file is set to myunits.fil the system still chooses the CAESAR II´s default unit file as if the cfg file has been reset?

#52361 - 01/06/13 05:14 PM Re: Unit conversion in modules [Re: Arijit]
danb Offline

Loc: ...
If you specify "myunits.fil" in the config file, Caesar will look for it in the calculation folder. If "myunits.fil" is not there, Caesar will use the default unit file i.e. english.fil.

Regards,

#52389 - 01/08/13 11:57 AM Re: Unit conversion in modules [Re: Arijit]
Arijit Offline

danb,
That is what I had in mind but even if myunits.fil is present because all I am trying to do is create a new file in the existing folder in two different ways, and in doing that found such anomaly.

I believe the creators may have a better explanation for it, or may be it is some funny bug, who knows!

#52391 - 01/08/13 12:48 PM Re: Unit conversion in modules [Re: Arijit]
danb Offline

Loc: ...
maybe read/write rights? try on local folder.

#52402 - 01/09/13 02:00 PM Re: Unit conversion in modules [Re: Arijit]
Richard Ay Offline

As a result of the investigation prompted by this thread, we have found that the WRC module does not build the path to the configuration file correctly. Therefore, this module is using the default configuration file located in the \system directory.

You can correct this issue by copying the "caesar.cfg" file from this data directory into the 5.31 \system directory.

We'll get this fixed in the next Service Pack.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics