Topic Options
#51913 - 11/26/12 12:57 PM 2D representation
Zippy Offline

Loc: Pennsylvanina, USA
I am new to Cadworx so bare with me. I was just told by a coworker that the only way to create a 2D working drawing from a model is to use the 2drep and 2dreph commands to extract edges and hidden lines from a viewport showing a view of the model and effectively copy them into the paperspace of a drawing. Correct me if I'm wrong but if a model is changed, every 2d drawing referencing that part of the model will then need to be regenerated? This seems counterproductive to the whole idea of using xrefs. Isnt there a way to keep the elements in the xref and only refresh the view of that model dynamically?

#51914 - 11/26/12 01:13 PM Re: 2D representation [Re: Zippy]
dgorsman Offline

Mods, this should be moved to the CADWorx Plant forum.

You don't *have* to 2DREP a drawing. It can be printed with the viewport set to obscure hidden lines. But many clients don't want to have to deal with XREFs in their returned drawings, even if they get the models as well. Others just want dumb, 2D drawings. So the 2DREP can be put off until the return-to-client phase.

Trying to keep everything programmatically linked between an XREF'd model and a a set of 2D linework is a very, very difficult task. Most attempts I've seen are prone to disconnects, require the actual licensed software (not just object enablers), and are generally unstable even when executed under ideal circumstances.

#51915 - 11/26/12 01:37 PM Re: 2D representation [Re: Zippy]
Zippy Offline

Loc: Pennsylvanina, USA
my biggest problem is that there will be drawings that are missed and which go out incorrect. This just seems to be a long way around. It would make more sense to me if the 2drep just coverted the view shown in the viewport and not copied into the paperspace. That way it would be truely a dynamic model/drawings.

#51923 - 11/26/12 11:06 PM Re: 2D representation [Re: Zippy]
Vanman Online   content

Loc: JHB South Africa
You can 2DREP Selected objects or viewports when in paperspace. Your Co Workers info is slightly off in the respect that you 2DREP in model space only.

#51934 - 11/27/12 09:15 AM Re: 2D representation [Re: Zippy]
Rod Abbott Offline

Loc: Calgary, AB, Canada
We use this procedure here. I am assuming that you have some knowledge of AutoCAD, so I am not going to go into details.

For 2D drawings during the project (these remain live):
1. Open a template that contains your titleblock (in PS) and save it as your new deliverable (drawing number).
2. Xref in the areas you are highlighting in that drawing.
3. using xclip and 3dclip, create your views in PS (if you are good with the viewbox, use it).
4. Set your viewports to shadeplot = hidden.
5. Make your layer changes as required in your drawing (IE. fade the equipment to the background and highlight pipe).
6. Dimension, annotate, and leader your drawing in PS.
7. 2drep your centrelines (if needed), otherwise, leave the model as is.
8. Plot.

End of project (2d only):
1. Take the drawings and 2drep them.
2. Detach all of the xrefs.

End of project (model is deliverable):
1. Etransmit all of your drawings leaving all of the models, styles, etc in tact.

Regards.

#51943 - 11/28/12 08:13 AM Re: 2D representation [Re: Zippy]
Vanman Online   content

Rod, are you using Hidden or Legacy Hidden Hideplot ? I like your method. Tell me more about XCLIP.

When, where, why and how would I use it?

#51946 - 11/28/12 08:26 AM Re: 2D representation [Re: Zippy]
Rod Abbott Offline

Loc: Calgary, AB, Canada
Van:

I believe we use legacy (since some of our machines have older ACAD).

XCLIP:
This command works only in MS and on XREFS.
If you create a closed polyline around the area you want to see, XCLIP will 'trim away' everything else, keeping what is inside.

The down-side to this is that you can only have one in a drawing.

2D Drawings
------------
This is handy for 'cut-aways', for example, if you have an elevation view of a pipe rack, you can use XCLIP to outline your (and step) your pipe.

I also use it to streamline my elevations. For instance, if I want to show a North and West elevation of a building, I draw an 'L' shaped closed polyline encompassing the North view and the West view. Now my 3DCLIP works better since there is less 'clutter'.

Modelling
----------
Helps when I have to model in complex areas. I can just clip away the information I don't need, IE. modelling in on the seond floor of a 4 story building.

Does this help?

#51951 - 11/28/12 12:02 PM Re: 2D representation [Re: Zippy]
Vanman Online   content

Must Experiment with XCLIP.

Moderator:  Dominik Hepp 
Who's Online
1 registered (Vanman), 42 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics