Topic Options
#7214 - 02/04/05 07:25 AM Circular Baffle thickness
ranjit Offline

Loc: Kuwait
Can anyone tell me how to calculate the thickness of a cirular baffe installed inside a horizontal pressure vessel. The baffle is not fully circular, there is a horizontal cut somewhere near the top of the vessel so that the process fluid reaching that level can pass to the other side.The baffle is to be attached to the vessel shell by means of welding at the perifery of the baffle. the baffle is to be designed for the static head of the operating fluid.The baffle may be stiffened with strucrural sections in order to reduce the required thickness.
Hope someone will tell me the methodology for designing the baffle.
Regards,
Ranjit

#7215 - 05/17/05 10:05 AM Re: Circular Baffle thickness
Ray_Delaforce Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Hello rranjit

This is outside the scope of our software. The baffle cannot experience a force when subject to the static head, because the pressure acts in all directions. Therefore the pressure is equalized on both side of the baffle. However, the baffle is subjected to the force generated by the moving fluid. In order to evaluate this force, you will have invoke the Bernoulli equation. You will need to know the velocity of the fluid, and its density. The force generated can be evaluated. The baffle can be considered as a flat plate subject to the derived pressure. You can use the ‘Component Analysis’ (CodeCalc) programme to determine the thickness of the baffle. You will have to check separately whether the welds are adequate, although typically, the weld loads are very small
Hexagon PPM

#47412 - 02/27/12 06:17 AM Re: Circular Baffle thickness [Re: Ray_Delaforce]
a3katie Offline

Loc: Cork, Ireland
Hi,

I am looking at a similar issues as ranjit, an almost circular internal baffle separating a horizontal vessel into 2 chambers. I notice that this post is from 2005... Have there been any changes related to this in PVElite since then, or is this issue still outside the scope of the software?

Thanks,
Katie

Edited by a3katie (02/27/12 06:24 AM)

#47510 - 03/01/12 10:43 AM Re: Circular Baffle thickness [Re: ranjit]
patelsajit Offline

Loc: Gujarat
Hi Ranjit

Thickness calculation method for circular internal baffle is given in Book "Deniss Moss". Procedure is is very simple, for that you can prepare excel sheet.

But in as i know no software is doing this calculation.

Regards
Sajit Patel

#51404 - 10/21/12 01:55 AM Re: Circular Baffle thickness [Re: ranjit]
Dijin Offline

Loc: United Arab Emirates
Dear All,
Can anyone clarify following query..

Deniss Moss is giving the procedure for plate thickness;but how to check the strength of the weld.
As per code which welding configuration is applicable here??;
if I m providing partial penetration or only fillet weld at one side;
how to derive the force acing on these weld??are there any analytic calculation apart from FEA.??Is there any effect of radial stress as my vessel is thick walled..

Regards
Dijin Maroli.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics