Topic Options
#5060 - 03/03/06 01:15 PM Help with Help
Larry Gmucs Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I just got an error message I didn't see yesterday. I was in the Insulation Density field on piping input, and pressed F1 to see typical insulation densities. It was fine yesterday, but today I got a Windows error box telling me
"A Runtime Error has occurred.
Do you wish to Debug?
Line: 14
Error: Object doesn't support this property or method: 'ATLHelper.ConvertUnits' "

Also, the density values look weird; for example, Calcium Silicate has a density of
^^12 1H ,E10.4E1^6.655E-3.

I've restarted the computer and still get the same message. I'm using Build C2_4.50_050407 on Windows XP. Any suggestions?
NASA Glenn Research Center

#5061 - 03/03/06 11:40 PM Re: Help with Help
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
I can think of two things that could have caused this:

1) Your 'security' settings in Internet Explorer changed? The help is displayed in IE, using Microsoft's HTML Help. We use an ActiveX control to generate the units and occasionally numeric constants on the fly. If you tightened up the security, this may prevent the ActiveX control from functioning properly.

2) Try to re-register \caesar450\htmlhelpunits.dll. You can use the "regsrv32" command to do this, from a 'command prompt'. For example:

regsvr32 c:\caesar450\htmlhelpunits.dll

Your density value looks weird because you are looking at the raw data, with the codes and formatting to display the value in "user units". You're seeing this because our control didn't run.

#5062 - 03/06/06 08:25 AM Re: Help with Help
Larry Gmucs Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks for your continuing excellent support, Richard. I hadn't changed any IE security settings, so I tried your second suggestion. It worked. I wonder how the dll got un-registered?
NASA Glenn Research Center

#5063 - 03/06/06 08:40 AM Re: Help with Help
Richard Ay Offline

Installing Version 5.00 would have registered the "htmlhelpunits.dll" in the 5.00 directory (since Windows only lets you have one DLL of a given name registered). However, since both are identical, this should not be a problem.

The loss of "Windows Registration" is somewhat of a mystery.

#5064 - 05/18/06 02:59 AM Re: Help with Help
Alex888 Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
I've installed CAesarII 4.5 Final Build on XP, it works fine with administrator privileges, but when an enduser is logged on they are getting an error message when pressing F1 or ? when they're in input piping. Registering htmlhelpunits.dll did not work. But when I uninstalled CAesar 4.5, then installed Caesar 5.0, uninstalled 5.0 then reinstalled 4.5 the enduser hasn't got a problem using F1 or ? in the piping input. Do you have an explanation ,or even better a solution , for this problem?

#5065 - 05/18/06 09:11 AM Re: Help with Help
Richard Ay Offline

There are only two things the HTML Help depends on: (1) registering HTMLHELPUNITS.DLL, and (2) IE security settings.

Unfortunately, Windows only allows you to register a DLL of a given name once, so if you installed 5.00 after 4.50, then the HTMLHELPUNITS.DLL in the 5.00 directory is the one registered.

#5066 - 05/18/06 10:33 AM Re: Help with Help
Alex888 Offline

Thanks for your response Richard.

Forget my story about finding a work around by uninstalling 4.5 install 5.0 uninstall 5.0 reinstall 4.5

The thing is I installed 4.5 final build on a clean XP OS, so the HTMLHELPUNITS.DLL will not be registered by 5.0. Now the HELP system doesn't work with enduser privileges. So I'll register the dll in the 4.5 directory manually. And it still doesn't work. It's not in the IE security settings because when I install 5.0 on a clean XP OS the enduser hasn't got a problem opening the HELP system. Do you have any suggestions?

#5067 - 05/18/06 01:36 PM Re: Help with Help
David Little Offline

Loc: houston, tx
Alex,

An end-user needs permission to run ActiveX controls. I would guess that you don't have sufficient permissions. I think that you could test your permissions by saving a plot as HTML and opening the resulting HTML page. The plot library uses ActiveX to display the plot in Internet Explorer. You'll probably get either a box with a little "X" in it, or (if you're using XP/SP2) a yellow bar will appear that says you don't have permission for "active content".

Also, only an administrator - and sometimes only the "local" administrator - can register a DLL or install anything.

Regards,

- David Little
- COADE, Inc.
- Houston, Texas

#5068 - 05/22/06 04:33 AM Re: Help with Help
Alex888 Offline

David,

Thanks for your suggestion. I've tested the permissions by saving a plot in the HTML format and with enduser permissions it opened without problems, no little X or yellow bar. So our problem persists frown When I make the enduser a local administrator, the help system works fine.I've got a feeling that the enduser needs permissions on a registry key?

Regards
Alex

#5069 - 05/22/06 11:41 AM Re: Help with Help
David Little Offline

Loc: houston, tx
Alex,

Do you have CAESAR II installed on a shared network drive? Microsoft recently released an update for IE that disables help over the network. If that's the case, then open a blank file named "htmlhelp.reg" (or any name, as long as it has an extension ".reg"), and paste this code into it:

<font color=red>
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRestrictions]
"MaxAllowedZone"=dword:00000004
</font>

Save it, then double-click. That will update your registry and allow network access to help files. A typical user may not have access to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE; you may need to run it as admin.

Regards,

- David

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics