Topic Options
#49014 - 05/29/12 07:19 AM CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION
edevor Offline

Loc: Greece
Hi,

We are trying to review the potential advantages/possibilities of integration between CAESAR II with SmartPlant 3D.

Currently we are running PDS as piping design tool and we also have SmartPlant review software available. (SmartPlant 3D is not available to our company.

Is it possible, having PDS and SmartPlant Review, to get the PCF file needed or SmartPlant 3D shall be used in order to proceed with the integration?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Regards

#49048 - 05/31/12 12:33 AM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
edevor Offline

Loc: Greece
Any Idea?

tnx

#49072 - 05/31/12 10:27 AM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Contact Mandeep Singh in the Houston office: mandeep.singh@intergraph.com.

#49202 - 06/12/12 05:26 AM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
Farhad Offline

Loc: UAE
PDS can generate IDF files (Intermediate Data Format) while creating isometrics. Some programs such as I-Sketch, I-Run, Spoolgen, etc. can read IDF files and convert them to PCF files. I've not seen IDF to PCF convertor.
I've prepared a procedure some years ago and it may help you. You can find it in the following link.

http://www.coade.com/ubbthreads/attachments/828-PDMSTOCAESARII.pdf

Edited by Farhad (06/12/12 05:37 AM)
What U give U get back !!!

#49213 - 06/12/12 08:59 PM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
Richard Ay Offline

CAESAR II Version 5.31 (2011 R1) is currently in duplication. This version incorporates a new (Advanced) PCF importer that runs within the Piping Input processor. This APCF importer is driven by configurable mapping files, so that restraints, materials, units, and fitting (SIF) types can be mapped correctly during the construction of a CAESAR II model.

Version 5.31 (2011 R1) also contains enhancements to the (MS Access) MDB database file, exported by CAESAR II. This permits SmartPlant Review/Publisher (2011 R1, scheduled to be available in mid-July) to intelligently read and import the data generated by CAESAR II - including geometry changes made by the Stress Engineer.

#49309 - 06/19/12 03:24 AM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
danb Offline

Loc: ...
I want to know if there is any possibility to download this version.

eCustomer maybe?

Best regards,

#49335 - 06/20/12 05:04 AM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
danb Offline

Any help?

#49353 - 06/20/12 09:23 PM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
Richard Ay Offline

2011 R1 was available from Manufacturing last Friday (June 15th). If you're having problems with downloads, you'll have to contact your Sales Representative.

#49366 - 06/21/12 04:38 AM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
danb Offline

Thank you Richard. We tried yesterday but no download was available.

We will try again or we will contact Intergraph.

Regards,

#49398 - 06/22/12 01:41 PM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
Mandeep Singh Offline

Loc: Houston, Tx, USA
Dan,

You will have to contact your sales person to get that disc. As this is a minor release instead of a service pack it is not available on eCustomer.

If you need details about this interface I can provide you with some details.

Edited by Mandeep Singh (06/22/12 01:42 PM)
Hexagon PPM

#49404 - 06/23/12 12:32 AM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
danb Offline

Thank you.

Interesting, this version came just when we decided to use pcf files instead the classic way.

Until now I was not very sure that it would be a good idea, for the reasons we know.

But... On one project we have to issue the preliminary stress calculations for another office that use SP3D, while we don't yet. Unfortunately the isometrics can not be extracted at this stage, the lines have slopes that we have to consider so it would be a nightmare to draw sketches looking in SP Review (one available licence for six stress engineers as the others SP Review available licences are incompatible versions).

With a tight dead-line, the only reasonable thing to do was to use the pcf files.

Whis gave us the possibility to do our work and we will finish in time.

I think this can be considered a Success Story.

I know that there are many things to investigate, but is a good start.
I can barely wait to see the new interface and I am interested to know as much as possible about it.
I'm interested also in developing the supports map file.

Best regards,

Edited by danb (06/23/12 12:34 AM)

#49447 - 06/26/12 05:14 AM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
danb Offline

As far as I understand, in order to have a support recognized by the pcf convertor, it is necessary to be mapped in PCF_RES_MAP.TXT

However it seems that I was not able to make it to work.

In the file "1001-P.pcf" that is in the Examples folder, I specified the NAME of support as Assy_RR_SR_DH_1 (otherwise is not recognized). This mean that according to the PCF_RES_MAP.TXT a spring hanger should be placed:
-----------------

ASSY_RR_SR_DH 1
VHGR
-----------------

All I can get is a RY(0,0,0) ???? support type.

What I'm doing wrong?

Other thing is that if two supports are at the same location, only one will be considered, the other will be discarded.

Regards,

#49467 - 06/26/12 12:42 PM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
Mandeep Singh Offline

Loc: Houston, Tx, USA
Hello Danb,

The support mapping file works of the support 'Name' in that pcf the name is 'unspecified'. Typically in a pcf the support name is specified. If you change the pcf file like this,

SUPPORT
CO-ORDS 28045.601 12030.541 6981.223 10
SUPPORT-DIRECTION UP
SKEY 01HG
ITEM-CODE Assy_RR_SR_DH_1
ITEM-DESCRIPTION Rigid Rod with Heavy Double Bolt Clamp, Top Type: C-CLAMP, Rod: Cont. Thread, 3/4
WEIGHT 17.149
UCI {00022303-0000-0000-2903-E771474C2004}
NAME Assy_RR_SR_DH_1

Note: I copied the ITEM-CODE to NAME field. Then, you will see the hanger, I tested that. You also need to use CAESAR II 2011 R1 (5.31) or later.

Let me know if encounter issues.
Hexagon PPM

#49469 - 06/26/12 01:26 PM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
danb Offline

Thank you.

This is what I've done.
Problem is that I tested this on the Caesar 2011 SP3.

I will let you when I will recive the CAESAR II 2011 R1 (5.31).

Unfortunately it is not yet available for me. Really I wish it could be downloaded. But....I will wait.

Regards,

#49787 - 07/12/12 11:43 PM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
danb Offline

Still waiting....

#49811 - 07/14/12 11:21 PM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
Richard Ay Offline

Contact your Sales Rep and request this upgrade.

#50053 - 08/01/12 05:45 AM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
danb Offline

I have now the 5.31 and it works.

The supports are correctly imported. However still remain the problem that if two supports are at the same location, only one will be considered, the other will be discarded. For example if I have a shoe and a guide at the same location. The standard is made as such that guide is an independent entity and the shoe is an independent entity. The isometric will report a Shoe + Guide. One of these entities will be ignored, but randomly i.e. sometimes the shoe, sometimes the guide.

This can be solved in the future by modifying the support denomination concept of the company standard i.e. when you specify a guide to have a shoe + guide as a single entity. But this will not be possible if I have to follow a Client standard.

The fact that many times I will have to work with the Client standard raise another issue. Since the Caesar installation is on Citrix the System folder is used by all projects, this mean that I have to add all the supports from all clients in the same file. Maybe in the future, it will be possible to switch between various mapping files as is now possible for Material Database to change in Configuration file.

I'd like to know if is possible to have the pcf files used in "CAESAR II Interfaces with SmartPlant 3D and CADWorx Plant" webinar.

Thank you,

Dan

#50061 - 08/01/12 12:07 PM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
Dominik Hepp Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Hi Dan:

Regarding the multiple supports at the same location on PCF in, we have issued a development ticket to accomodate this setup in future releases. If you would, please submit a Service Request at the Intergraph eCustomer portal (https://crmweb.intergraph.com/), that way I can tie your request to the associated development ticket such that you will receive automatic notification of any related development progress.

Regarding the PCF files request, here also please submit a Service Request at the Intergraph eCustomer. We will be happy to provide the requested files if we have them available.

If you haven't done so yet, sign-up on Intergraph eCustomer at https://crmweb.intergraph.com/ by clicking the "I'm a new user" link, then the "click here" link on the first bullet of the next page. You will need to fill out a short form with your name/e-mail/etc., the submittal process should take two (2) minutes or less. Shortly after you submit the login request form, you will receive an e-mail with your login information.

Once your login information is received, logon to the eCustomer at https://crmweb.intergraph.com/ and submit a service request (SR) by clicking the "Submit a Service Request" link. This is a very short and easy process requiring only that you describe the issue and submit. As soon as submitted Intergraph Technical Support (we) will be in touch with you to help resolve the issue.

Signing up on eCustomer will take very little time and will give you access not only to a wider range of Intergraph resources assisting with submitted issues or SRs, it will also give you direct access to Intergraph’s knowledge base articles, latest product updates, and much more.

#50067 - 08/02/12 12:46 AM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
danb Offline

Thank you Dominik. My company have several accounts as they are an important Intergraph customer, but I don't have one. I will try to ask for a new one.
Can't be directly processed my request?

Best regards,

#50082 - 08/02/12 03:48 PM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
Richard Ay Offline

Sorry, but "no". All Technical Support issues must go threw eCustomer so that they are entered into the database and can be properly tracked.

#50087 - 08/02/12 11:56 PM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
danb Offline

Sorry. I mean to create the account directly. I will see what I can do.

Thank you again.

#50096 - 08/05/12 04:28 AM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
Farhad Offline

Loc: UAE
Hello Dan,

The only perfect bi-directional link is between CAESAR II and CADWorx/Plant. Do not trust any third party converters or intermediate map files. After importing piping system geometry into CAESAR II, check all the supports, gaps, temp., press., pipe material, etc. in piping input spreadsheets. I've been working with version 1.0 of CADWorx and CAESAR II since early 90's (with DOS OS) and the bi-directional link and stress-iso have been perfect since that time. I'm sure that Intergraph (COADE) people will prepare bi-directional link between CAESAR II and SmartPlant-3D in the future.
What U give U get back !!!

#50108 - 08/06/12 12:29 PM Re: CAESAR II AND SMARTPLANT 3D INTEGRATION [Re: edevor]
danb Offline

Thank you Farhad.

I bet this will be the future (i.e. bi-directional link between CAESAR II and 3d cad program). For big companies, as mine, CADWorx doesn't seems to be a choice therefore is more likely that SP3D or PDMS will be used. This is why I'm intrested in this.
10 years ago, the expectations were about the same but the results were not very encouraging.
Now, for the first time it seems that it is a step forward so I'm decided to give a try on this method. Still think that if our work will depend on CAD administrator it will not be a great progres in this field as we have different targets.

Intergraph should focus (in my opinion) to export bulk information that can be brought into a Caesar interface where to be processed to suit our needs.

Regards,

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics