Topic Options
#4894 - 02/17/06 01:14 AM Version 5.00
RS Offline

Loc: South Africa, Johannesburg
I am using the new version for the last two weeks and must say that new capabilities are rather impressive, especially building of the model from the graphic model, custom made output reports and the Isogen.
Working through, I came across few issues and few requirements for "nice to have(s)":
1. No code stress check is processed for hydrotest case???
2. Sometimes funny things happen in Isogen. The line connecting to the eccentric reducers appears with an offsets (slope) instead of the eccentric reducer. Also the hanger rod appears as two nozzles in opposite direction to each other (one above and one below the pipe). I do not know how to control or fix problems like these. I am using Bentley view and not much I can do from here. I could get a CAD program installed if that would resolve the problems like this, but would rather first hear from you if that is the only solution.
3. Where do we enter information that is to appear on the default (existing) Isometric’s title block created by Isogen? Can it be done from Isogen, or it has to be done from the CAD software?
4. It would be nice to have the option to display ONLY node names (specified in the input) in the graphic model, by a click of a button. Presently this is possible only in the Isogen, but with many more clicks then one, as all node names have to be re-typed under "user annotations".
5. It would be nice to be able to scroll with the mouse wheel in the classic output reports
6. It would be nice to have copy and paste capabilities in Isogen (for "user annotations" for example)
7. In the version 5.00 classic piping input, when we double click on, for example, the restrain (or displacement, or forces, or SIFs, etc.) field, I expect that the cursor is automatically at the node input field and we can type the node number straight away. That is how it was in the previous versions. Now, the cursor is nowhere to be seen, so we first have to move mouse to the node field and do one extra mouse click! I know, this sounds like a very small problem, but can you please fix it. It would save lots of clicking and mouse manipulation and provide better continuity in input work.
8. And finally, I already asked in few instances if it is possible to include different densities in one model. A density is often related to a temperature so if multiple temperature / density pairs are considered, presently, separate Caesar files have to be created. This is a major waste of time when for any small change each of these files has to be updated. Is there major obstacle for this feature to be implemented?
I am looking forward for your comments.
Ranka

#4895 - 02/17/06 01:47 AM Re: Version 5.00
RS Offline

And another one:
9. When doing the input in graphic model, say after creating 20-30 elements, the input becomes very, very slow, graphic model distorted and recovers very slowly if at all. When it becomes really bad I save, close and reopen the file again to pick up the speed. Does this mean that my hardware has insufficient capabilities / memory?

#4896 - 02/17/06 08:16 AM Re: Version 5.00
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Comments on your items:

1) Most of the Codes base hydrotest on yield (Sy). Make sure Sy has been defined on the Allowable Stress dialog.

2)ISOGEN is overly picky about some things. We have addressed this particular issue already and it will be resolved in the 1st build.

3) You need to change the templates, via a CAD package.

4) Ok, good idea.

5) This is a "mouse driver" problem. You'll find some machines just won't scroll this "grid control". See if there is a newer driver for your mouse available.

6) No, ISOGEN simply generates isometric drawings. Once the drawing is finished ISOGEN is done. Any modifications to the drawing must be done in a CAD program. ISOGEN is not Autocad.

7) You're right. This "focus issue" is a side-affect of the "tearables" - the ability to tear off parts of the spreadsheet and put them on the graphics. This is an item we are working to resolve.

8) I presume you are talking about fluid density here? The only way to address this is to create additional density fields (similar to temperatures and pressures), which basically changes the data structures in every module of the program. This is on the development list for Version 5.10.

9) Probably. I'd suggest a graphics board with at least 64 Mbytes of RAM. You can also try switching from OPENGL to "Basic Windows Video", which can be done in "Configuration\3d Viewer Settings" (at the bottom). You should also check the list of approved Video cards on the TechSoft web site: http://www.solidworks.com/pages/services/VideoCardTesting.html . Stay away from anything they deem shakey.

#4897 - 02/20/06 12:37 AM Re: Version 5.00
RS Offline

Richard, thanx for your reply.
Please provide additional clarifications on my first question:
In previous versions Sy was automaticaly picked up from the data base. Why do we have to input it manualy in 5.00?

#4898 - 02/20/06 08:11 AM Re: Version 5.00
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Because there were more important things to address (than checking every material in the database to see if "Sy" had been specified, and if not, go hunt up the data and then define it).

"Sy" is only obtained from the database for those material entries applicable to a piping code where the "code allowables" depended on "yield" - such as B31.4 and B31.8.

#4899 - 03/09/06 07:45 AM Re: Version 5.00
Tim G. Offline

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
Quote:
5) This is a "mouse driver" problem. You'll find some machines just won't scroll this "grid control". See if there is a newer driver for your mouse available.
Hi Richard, the lack of scrolling in the reports is driving me nuts. I've tried loading a new driver with no luck, can you provide me with a driver version (from whichever company) that is known to scroll this grid control?

Thank you,

#4900 - 03/09/06 08:48 AM Re: Version 5.00
David Little Offline

Loc: houston, tx
Tim,

Try opening the control panel and select <font color="blue">Mouse</font>. Switch to the <font color="blue">Wheel</font> tab, and press the <font color="blue">Troubleshooter</font> button and follow directions. You'll need the output processor open (probably a report, too), but it should work after that.

Regards,

- David Little
- COADE, Inc.
- Houston, Texas

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics