Topic Options
#48818 - 05/16/12 02:15 AM Seismic analysis input and output
KOHCTPYKTOP Offline

Loc: France
Hello,
First of all, I am coming from ANSYS, I have used Caesar II for about a month now. My question is related to seismic analysis.
In ANSYS it is quite easy to build a dynamic case and all is fairly clear when it comes to looking at static and dynamic loads before, lets say combining with Newmark rule.
In Caesar II I am able to build and run response spectra. At this point I am having a few questions on:
1. Case combinations
2. output files in DYNAMIC OUTPUT window
I need to run response spectrum in three directions separately, and then combine my results with gravity, so in "SPECTRUM LOAD CASE" tab I firstly create 3 new load cases and then each load case is assigned a single direction (X,Y & Z).
Then I want to combine the results of seismic accelerations for each of three directions with gravity. For this part, I go to "STATIC/DYNAMIC COMBINATIONS" tab and create again 3 load cases,
where I make a combination of SUS (W+P1) +D1 in load case 1, SUS (W+P1) +D2 in load case 2 and SUS (W+P1) +D3 in load case 3.
Then in "CONTROL PARAMETERS" tab I choose OPE (W+T1+P1) for static case for nonlinear restraint status and I run the analysis.
When I get to the window of DYNAMIC OUTPUT I can see 6 load cases that I created, 3 of shock cases ands 3 of combination cases.
Finally my first question is:
Are my cases that I described above doing what I initially wanted to do (combine the results of gravity from static case with the results of accelerations)?
I assume it is done in combination cases and the shock cases are only to show the results of accelerations with no gravity
Please correct me if I am wrong about any input of my dynamic analysis.
Thank you.

#48824 - 05/16/12 08:11 AM Re: Seismic analysis input and output [Re: KOHCTPYKTOP]
KOHCTPYKTOP Offline

Guys, any takers on this one, I thought it would be a failry simple question, may be I am just judging from ANSYS approach.

#48827 - 05/16/12 08:47 AM Re: Seismic analysis input and output [Re: KOHCTPYKTOP]
Dave Diehl Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
From my brief review you have it right.
I question running the three shocks separately but that's your choice.
The prime purpose of those static/dynamic combinations is to satisfy Code stress evaluation of stresses due to sustained loads plus stresses due to occasional load. That's what your three combintion cases do for you. If you are overstressed here, the individual shock cases will identify the largest modal component of that high seismic stress - this is a good design tool.

#48828 - 05/16/12 09:54 AM Re: Seismic analysis input and output [Re: KOHCTPYKTOP]
KOHCTPYKTOP Offline

Thank you for a quick response.
This is the aproach that I was requested to use to have 3 separate cases.
But to cap it off for my knowledge as far as Caesar concerns, you Dave recommend to create just one load case in "Spectrum load cases"tab and then follow the analysis that I described above? (combining SUS+D)

Also I do not understand one thing, a SHOCK CASE is just a dynamic result without gravity and COMBINATION case is the result of a gravity + dynamic reslut without gravity?

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics