Topic Options
#4691 - 01/25/06 12:01 PM Expansion bellow in pump nozzle for water service
habib Offline

Loc: india
In pump ( Horizontal )discharge nozzle of size 14" where line size is 24" we have use tied expansion bellow. Bellow connected with nozzle , after bellow there is reducer, valve some spool piece & elbow towards vertical ,which is connected fiting to fiting +1000mm spool piece with 40" header.There are three pump in series.

In this case there was huge nozzle axial load & moment.Operating temp is 29 deg & design temp is 65 deg.
I have check with two tied expansion bellow (with 2 tie rod unit )one in pump nozzle & other in vertical position between header & elbow, in that case nozzle load is within accepted limit.

This project was a copy of previous project ( In which plant is running well ) where only one tied bellow was used for each pump nozzle.

I have seen documents of another previous project of very big size pump nozzle where tied expansion bellow is used in pump nozzle & after reducer they put Limit stop. I do not understand how they manage with axial load on pump nozzle. Here also plant is running well.

Any suggestion how to manage pump nozzle load.

Thanks & Regards

Habib

#4692 - 01/25/06 12:28 PM Re: Expansion bellow in pump nozzle for water service
Dave Diehl Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
Determine if your model is correct before trying to reduce the load.

Is it a pressure load that's causing the greatest componet of load on your nozzle? (Run P1 by itself to see.)

If it's pressure, you might want to improve the model to reflect what is really happening out there.

In CAESAR II, we apply pressure thrust load on either end of the expansion joint. The actual location of those thrust loads should be on all surfaces that are perpendicular to the pipe centerline. Most of these loads are balanced on each end and carried by the pipe wall. In most cases, our thrust loads will work out OK but in your job you might be seeing a pressure thrust load on a nozzle when that load should be located on the back of the pump instead.

You might want to search this forum for other discussions on expansion joints and thrust loads.

#4693 - 01/26/06 02:07 AM Re: Expansion bellow in pump nozzle for water service
habib Offline

Loc: india
Sir
Thank you very much for your responce . I am sorry it is not presure thrust I have model with tie rod & no considerable load is coming is sustain case ( pressure thrust load come both in sustain & operating case for untied bellow ). It is thermal load coming in operaing & design case . Pump nozzle allowable nozzle load is very low given by vendor.

I am very curious wheather I can put limit stop after tied expansion bellow ( As I have seen our old previous project document )

Once again thank you very much sir

Regards

Habib

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics