Topic Options
#46391 - 12/23/11 10:40 PM ANCHOR POINT
baskar1982 Offline

Loc: singapore
is there any difference between pipe connected to vessel nozzle through flange and pipe directly welded to vessel nozzle?

in my case a 28inch pipe directly welded to pig launcher nozzle may i consider this point as an anchor or not?

dear experts please clarify.

#46396 - 12/24/11 07:37 AM Re: ANCHOR POINT [Re: baskar1982]
Jop Offline

Loc: Florida, USA

Remember, most Pig Launchers are made of pipe and fittings, so it depends, is the pig launcher anchored?

#46399 - 12/24/11 10:00 AM Re: ANCHOR POINT [Re: baskar1982]
baskar1982 Offline

Dear Jop,

Thanks, here the pig launcher as you said it is made of pipes and fittings which is supplying to vendor by us and also the vendor not providing allowable nozzle loads.

should i consider as an anchor?.

#46400 - 12/24/11 01:24 PM Re: ANCHOR POINT [Re: baskar1982]
Jop Offline

Basker,
You wrote "should I consider as an anchor?"
a). Should you consider what as an anchor?

b). An item (pipe, Pig Launcher, Pump, tank, etc) simply sitting on grade is not anchored.

c). An item (pipe, Pig Launcher, Pump, tank, etc) simply sitting on concrete surface (without Anchor Bolts) is not anchored.

d). An item (pipe, Pig Launcher, etc) simply sitting on steel pipe support (without welded attachments) is not anchored.

e). A concrete sleeper or low steel pipe support (sitting on a shallow pad foundation) that was intended only as simple resting pipe support is not an anchor.

f). An Anchor is an item or combination of items designed to withstand the force that has been calculated to apply at a given point.

g). Items That may be included in a typical Anchor situation may include:
1. A weldment or clamp on the pipe to attach it to another item
2. A Steel Beam Pipe Support with a concrete foundation
or
3. A Sleeper with a Steel plate cast into concrete pier and foundation

If you do not have these or some combination of these then you can not consider that you have an anchor.

#46401 - 12/24/11 09:16 PM Re: ANCHOR POINT [Re: Jop]
kumar73 Offline

Loc: India

Recently we done one project.what we consider the pig launcher both supports sliding. no anchor. We have also pipe movement aroud 50mm from upstream pipe.

1.Don't considere the anchore.
2.check the upstream report where the anchore placed.
3.up to 6" Meg Injection pipes we consider anchor @.

If u have any quires please let me know.

#46450 - 12/30/11 10:46 PM Re: ANCHOR POINT [Re: baskar1982]
baskar1982 Offline

Dear Kumar,

Thanks for your reply, the upstream is from underground pipe it a gas transmission line but our scope is limited to above ground and very small portion with two bends connected to underground pipe.

should i include underground pipe analysis with above ground

can you able to provide allowable nozzle loads for 28X24inch pig launcher and 32X28" pig launchers?

yes, the result is better if i dont consider the pig launcher as an anchor
but i need to justify why i dont consider as an anchor?

Thanks in advance

#46452 - 12/31/11 02:33 PM Re: ANCHOR POINT [Re: baskar1982]
Jop Offline

Basker1982,
You asked two questions:
Q1) Can you provide allowable nozzle loads for 28X24inch pig launcher and 32X28" pig launchers?

Q2) Why don't I consider as an anchor?

A1) It would not be possible or proper for someone to furnish "Nozzle Loads" for an object that is just a collection of pipe, fittings, flanges and valves. If your company were to do ALL of the installation (the Pig Launcher, the up-stream piping and the down-stream piping) would you be concerned about nozzle loading on one segment and having this quandary about "Anchors"?

A2) You cannot consider "it" (the pig launcher) an Anchor because (based on what you have and have not told us) there is nothing to connect the pig launcher to in order to make it a "Fixed and immovable" object capable of resisting an unknown force which you have also not defined. An object supplied by another entity (vendor) does not automatically qualify as an anchor just because someone else makes it. What makes it an anchor is it being attached (bolted or welded) to a BIG HUNKING block of concrete sized based on the analysis of the system to defy the applied force to be overcome by the anchor.

Maybe it would have helped if you had included a sketch of the total installation.

#46453 - 12/31/11 09:36 PM Re: ANCHOR POINT [Re: Jop]
baskar1982 Offline

Dear Jop,

Thank you very much for your explanation, i attached pig launcher pipe installation and overall plant installation to better understand my queries. please ask me if any input is required.

Attachments
PIG LAUNCHER PIPE INSTALLATION.pdf (486 downloads)
OVERALL INSTALLATION.pdf (420 downloads)

#46455 - 01/01/12 01:30 PM Re: ANCHOR POINT [Re: baskar1982]
Jop Offline

Basker,
Here are your original questions:
Q1) Is there any difference between pipe connected to vessel nozzle through flange and pipe directly welded to vessel nozzle?

Q2) In my case a 28inch pipe directly welded to pig launcher nozzle may I consider this point as an anchor or not?

A1) When talking about an "Anchor point" for the end of a pipe line segment and how it attaches to a Vessel there is no major differences between a Flanged connection and a butt-welded connection. The key point is what constitutes a "Vessel" and what does not, and what constitutes an "Anchor" and what does not. Vessels come in all sizes, shapes, wall thicknesses and foundation types. Some make good, solid Anchors for piping systems. Some vessels are small, odd shaped, thin walled and poorly supported therefore do not make good anchors.

A2) In your project the "Pig-Launchers" constructed of pipe (24' & 28") do not qualify as "Vessels" and based on your Piping Plan Drawing do not appear to have or need "Anchors" for the piping system. You may want to have "Guides" on the sleeper pipe supports to insure the pipe does not slip off the support but I do not think you need anchors.

Your sketch was very helpful.

#46459 - 01/01/12 11:36 PM Re: ANCHOR POINT [Re: baskar1982]
baskar1982 Offline

Dear Jop,

Thank You very much for your lucid explanation, really helpful to clear my doubts.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics