Topic Options
#43998 - 08/04/11 05:42 PM Do *.otl files still exist?
Mattatwork Offline

Loc: CA
I have three questions, in order of importance: a specific question, a general question, and a very general question.

1) I am using Caesar 5.20. I read of a reference to a *.otl "Time Sequencing File", a file that is generated for each Caesar project. However, I can find no OTL file in my system or project directory after making a Caesar run. Is the OTL file an old and obsolete file? Does this file no longer exist as a working component of Caesar?

2) The reference to the file is on p7-30 of the Caesar 5.20 Application Guide, circa 2009. It is listed as one of the four files required to completely describe a Caesar project: Tutor._a, Tutor._p, Caesar.cfg and Tutor.otl. If *.otl no longer exists, does that mean that the three remaining files represent a complete record of a Caesar run?

3) Most general question: does anything else stand out about the Application Guide Tutorial A that is anachronistic to version 5.20? I also notice that the output display and save options have changed significantly. Are there other, especially any functional or operational, changes that stand out?

#43999 - 08/04/11 06:19 PM Re: Do *.otl files still exist? [Re: Mattatwork]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
1) Yes the "otl" file still exists. However, job (component) files are zipped up into the ".c 2" archive when CAESAR II is closed or you switch to another job.

2) These files also exist: _a is the piping model, _p is the static output results file, and caesar.cfg is the configuration file. You may not have this file in your current data directory if you haven't used the Configuration Module (in that directory). In this case CAESAR II is using the .cfg file from the \system directory.

3) There is a large amount of documentation, which we do try to keep current. However, at the end of a release cycle, when the software is ready to go, most users would rather have us release then hold things up on outdated screen captures in the manuals.

#44011 - 08/05/11 09:13 AM Re: Do *.otl files still exist? [Re: Richard Ay]
Mattatwork Offline

Loc: CA
Thanks for your reply. As it follows from 1), does that mean that if I wanted to copy files that completely describe a job, I would need only copy the "*.c 2" file? And maybe the .cfg if different than default?

I want to know what to save in order to save/transport a complete job without cluttering things up with the working files.

#44015 - 08/05/11 05:11 PM Re: Do *.otl files still exist? [Re: Mattatwork]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Yes, you would need the "*.c 2" files as well as the .cfg file, all from your local data directory. If you altered any data files (like the material data base, or fatigue curves) over in \system, you should archive them also.

Note that the ".c 2" archive only contains files associated with your job name. If you create other files (say for equipment analysis), these won't be in the archive. You will have to save these in addition to the files mentioned above.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics