Topic Options
#43684 - 07/10/11 07:58 AM Sizing of Hanger with different temperature
sillyman Offline

Loc: Australia
Dear Richard Ay and Dave,

I have one doubt on deciding the spring hanger selection,

1. Usually the spring hanger is designed for the operating temperature rather than design temperature, am i right.
2. In my case, there are three different operating temperature conditions for sizing the spring hanger, the following load cases are

L1 = W - HGR (Not active in output)
L2 = W+D1+T2+P1- HGR (D1 is disp)(Not active in output)
L3 = W+D1+T3+P2- HGR (Not active in output)
L4 = W+D1+T4+P3- HGR (Not active in output)

and the remaining loads cases as follows as per the code requirement,

My query is, in the above load cases, CAESAR-II by default provide the load case 1. In load case L2, the default temperature caesar-II selects is T1 (in my case that is design temperature and not required for hanger design, so i manually changed it to T2 as operating temperature).

The remaining two cases (i.e.) L3 and L4 is not provided by Caesar-II as default, and i manually added the two load cases for hanger design and i ran the analysis as usual.

From the output report of the hanger table, i want to confirm, on what operating temperature case, the spring support is designed, whether the Caesar-II is selected the spring support based on Load Case L2 or L3 or L4. Since the hanger table doesn't have the temperature information.

Please clarify, if i am wrong.

Thankyou.

#43695 - 07/11/11 07:04 AM Re: Sizing of Hanger with different temperature [Re: sillyman]
stressguy81 Offline

Loc: India
1. Selecting a hanger based on operating temperature and checking the same for design (travel/load) would be ideal
2.Your load case are similar to activating "Multiple load case design " option in CAESAR II
Quote:
i manually added the two load cases for hanger design

You have added case L3 and L4 so that spring is designed for all T2 to T4, am I right?

This is what CAESAR II would do for your load case, It would select a spring which would satisfy % variation and spring height (if any) for all 3 cases.

#43704 - 07/11/11 06:58 PM Re: Sizing of Hanger with different temperature [Re: sillyman]
TH Engineer Offline

Loc: Bangkok, Thailand
Eventually, spring support shall be designed based on operating condition. However, it shall be re-confirmed at designed condition. My method that I will obtain spring data at operating condition first and then input these spring properties (cold load and spring rate) in predefine spring box and check at design condition. If variation and load are in the criteria, this spring an be accepted.

#43713 - 07/12/11 03:45 AM Re: Sizing of Hanger with different temperature [Re: sillyman]
stressengineer Offline

Loc: india
Dear Sillyman,
You can use "Hanger Design control data" for specifying NO of hanger design operating load case( In your case select 4) and " In multiple load case option" 13 options are available you can select any one of the option for Spring design.

#43749 - 07/14/11 04:43 AM Re: Sizing of Hanger with different temperature [Re: sillyman]
sillyman Offline

Loc: Australia
Thankyou friends for your valuable suggestions.

I have one more query in using the multi load case design option for spring hanger, (i.e.) there are 13 options available out of which first nine options are defined as operating case 1, 2 .... 9, and the remaining cases are max. load, max. travel, avg. load and travel and max. load and travel.

From these, i dont understand the first nine load cases, that is operating case 1 till 9. Why these are available and when to use? Since we can select only one option in the multi load case option, if we select the operating case, say # 2, then the spring is designed for that case alone. So instead of using the multi load case option, why dont we directly enter the load case in the overall static load case option.

Please clarify....

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics