Topic Options
#43178 - 06/03/11 09:32 PM steps for analysis
arun_nambiar86 Offline

Loc: mumbai,india
Dear friends
i have 2.5 years experience in piping recently i shifted to stress group. i thought i could do analysis and support selection easily. but unfortunately when i'm thinking it theoretically its very difficult to get optimum solution...
i would like to get experience advice to do perfect analysis with optimum support selection, hence pleas shed a light on my following queries

1) experience tips for the analysis(step by step procedure)
2) how to select support*(spring selection)
3) how to adjust the analysis result by changing support selection
4)when we can rigid support close to nozzle
5) how can i be a good stress analyist
6) pleas share any materials rekated with stress analysis

email id- arunnambiar86@gmail.com

regards
arun nambiar

#43191 - 06/06/11 02:16 AM Re: steps for analysis [Re: arun_nambiar86]
Rajinder Singh Offline

Loc: New Delhi
Dear Arun,
Go though a book on Pipe Stres Analysis. Your choices are:
1.Piping Stress Analysis By L.C.Peng
2.Introduction to pipe stress analysis by Sam Kannappan
3.Piping Handbook by Mohinder L. Nayyar
4.Piping stress calculations simplified by Siegfried Werner Spielvogel
5.Design of Piping Systems by M. W. Kellogg Company
6.Caesar user guide and techanical reference manuals

You company should have atleast one of the above.

#43247 - 06/09/11 10:37 AM Re: steps for analysis [Re: Rajinder Singh]
arun_nambiar86 Offline

thanks for your reply...

but sir i really wanted to get experienced tip ...i heard every stress engineer will have different approach i really need that kind of advice .

i would like to get how you are starting analysis..initially how you are arranging support location(Rough arrangement),what are all thing u taking care,
it would be grateful if are able to help me

thanks
arun

#43254 - 06/09/11 01:46 PM Re: steps for analysis [Re: arun_nambiar86]
Jop Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Arun,
If I read your question right you are asking a Stress Engineer where he or she locates the initial pipe supports on a line. The pipe stress engineer does not arrange the pipe supports.

In the world of piping design and engineering done by the really big engineering companies (such as Fluor, Bechtel, Parsons, Jacobs) the pipe rack and individual pipe supports are located and fixed during the plot plan development stage and it is the Piping designer who routes the line.

The designer makes use of the predefined primary pipe supports (Pipe Racks) for most of the support. The piping designer will also add secondary pipe supports (base supports, hangers, etc) where required to provide the best routing and support based on his or her experience.

The designer then submits the line via a stress sketch to the pipe stress engineer to run the analysis to see if there are any problems. If there are some areas of concern then the pipe stress engineer and the piping designer work together to solve these problems achieve a proper final design.

There is a lot more to this issue but you need to find out what the roles and responsibilities are for ALL the members of the piping team.

A former Piping Engineering and Design Department Manager for one of those big companies.

#43257 - 06/10/11 12:21 AM Re: steps for analysis [Re: arun_nambiar86]
stressguy81 Offline

Loc: India
Hi Arun,
Most of stress engineers start like this...
First Learn to input in CAESAR II and read output.
Then, luckily get assigned to a new project or get a fresh system to work with.
We will be in trouble clearing the first stress system for nozzle loading or flange etc, then some senior tells to provide guide or gaps in guide or a limit at some point, without understanding much we feel that 'we have done it'.

Quote:
experience tips for the analysis

Search this forum. We have lots of tips from Experts like John Breen, Richard, Dave, Anandiya etc
Understanding logic/theory behind that tip or if you yourself create Tips it would be good. This comes when to analyze lot of systems (over a period of time).

Quote:
how to select support

Refer CAESAR II Technical reference manual

Quote:
how to adjust the analysis result by changing support selection

Try in a CAESAR II file and then interpret the mathematical/mechanism behind it

Quote:
how can i be a good stress analyist

I presume a good analyst is the one
Who is able to create a accurate/realistic Mathematical model for physical constraint or a practical circumstance giving a optimum solution for that physical problem.

#43279 - 06/12/11 06:44 AM Re: steps for analysis [Re: Jop]
arun_nambiar86 Offline

Thanx Mr.Jop

i understood what you meant to say but its applicable only in such a big companies as u mentioned but unfortunately my case is different im working with a small company,here i get a isometric with possible support location then i should decide the support type and verify the support location,sometimes it makes lot of problem bcs the designer may not have much idea about behavior of piping system.
here my question is, if you are experience stress engineer with out software support u can even visually say what kind support should come there some should not,
how can u help to have that kind of manual calculation, i tried to search a lot in net for complete manual calculation for stress analysis but i failed to get a material which covers all area.
thanx
arun

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics