Topic Options
#41786 - 03/21/11 08:38 AM Modeling External Support on Large Bore Valve Actuator
Mpls_CAESAR_Guy Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I'm attempting to model a 1500# class, 10" motor operated gate valve for a boiler feedwater system. Thing is, we have to install the valve in a vertical run of pipe, such that the valve actuator is cantilevered horizontally off the valve. The valve manufacturer is requiring external supports on each actuator to ensure the valve stem doesn't bind.

In terms of modeling this in CAESAR, i have the following information:

1) Overall Valve ASSEMBLY weight (valve and actuator combined, not broken out) = 2853 lbs.

2) Overall length of valve (face to face) and dimension from piping centerline to the top of the actuator.

3) Vendor has provided the ASSEMBLY center of gravity location.

What is the best way to model this in CAESAR such that i can specify a proper spring to attach to each actuator (likely going to require a shimmed pipe clamp to attach). Any suggestions? Any additional information required?

My first idea is to model this assembly as 4 rigid elements, two for the valve and one long rigid protruding from the valve centerline out to represent the actuator. This actuator rigid would have to be split into 2 rigids (hence 4 total) once i determine the location where the vendor has specified as acceptable to attach a support. Considering i won't be able to calculate stresses on the valve stem modeling it all as rigids, i was planning on monitoring the vertical displacements of the actuator pipe support location compared to the valve centerline, trying to keep them within 1/8" of each other.

This is my first post in here, i'll take any advice on this as well.

Thanks,

Andy

#41793 - 03/21/11 11:39 AM Re: Modeling External Support on Large Bore Valve Actuator [Re: Mpls_CAESAR_Guy]
danb Offline

Loc: ...
I do not know if is the best thing to do, but as an improvement of your model, I sugest to insert a rigid without weight between the valve and actuator.

It is true that you can't calculate the stress on the valve stem, but you can place an anchor with cnode in order to be able to evaluate the bending moment.

Regards,

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics