Topic Options
#40926 - 02/13/11 01:23 AM WRC 107 : transfering nozzle forces & moments
sameercnn Offline

Loc: Karnataka, India.
Dear Sir,

Our client commented on our submitted calculation as below

"Do WRC 107,transfer nozzle forces & moments to nozzle & shell junction"

so please advise me, how to do this in PV Elite?

thanks,

Regards,
Sameer

#40932 - 02/13/11 11:55 PM Re: WRC 107 : transfering nozzle forces & moments [Re: sameercnn]
corne Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
On the nozzle input sheet, go to the second tab, and enter the forces and moments resulting from the pipe stress analysis here. This way you can perform a WRC analysis. Remember that WRC always needs to forces and moments on the nozzle-shell junction, not on the nozzle flange.

#40935 - 02/14/11 02:24 AM Re: WRC 107 : transfering nozzle forces & moments [Re: corne]
sameercnn Offline

Loc: Karnataka, India.
sir,

Thank you for your advise. Pleas note in my submitted calculation I have done WRC 107 calculation, I mean I have entered all the nozzle loads, even than they commented to do WRC 107 AND transfer nozzle forces & moments to nozzle & shell junctions and also they commented to include pressure thrust so please tell me how to transfer these forces & moments to nozzles & shell junctions?

thanks,

Regards,
Sameer

#40950 - 02/14/11 10:01 AM Re: WRC 107 : transfering nozzle forces & moments [Re: sameercnn]
Ray_Delaforce Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Just to add to what is said:

Loads on nozzles are not transfered to the vessel itself. For example, supports and cone to cylinder junctions will not see those loads. It is necessary to add those loads separately to the vessel.

Nozzle loads are usually small compared to weight, wind and seismic effects. If they are ignored, it usually will make little difference.
Hexagon PPM

#41151 - 02/21/11 11:31 PM Re: WRC 107 : transfering nozzle forces & moments [Re: Ray_Delaforce]
akuldiwar Offline

Loc: India
Hello friends,

I would like to say or ask about Mr. Ray Delaforce's line that

"Loads on nozzles are not transfered to the vessel itself"

It means these loads w'll not effect to foundation design and Pvlite also does not consider these nozzle loads to foundation.

I agree that Nozzle loads are usually small compared to weight, wind and seismic effects but what about big nozzles and their heavy nozzle loads.

example:- one equipment having 100 tonne weight and nozzle load coming to vessel is 10 tonne and if suppose the orientation of number of nozzles are in same degree then these loads w'll be more and its definitely effect to foundation load.

Is there any options in Pvelite to consider these extra loads coming on shell that effect to foundation.

please clarify.

#41172 - 02/22/11 09:24 AM Re: WRC 107 : transfering nozzle forces & moments [Re: akuldiwar]
Mandeep Singh Offline

Loc: Houston, Tx, USA

You can specify global loads that will transfer to the foundation and also apply on elements.

Some times those nozzle loads are fictitious "standard" loads so you may not want to tansfer those loads to the foundation.

Sometimes the loads on nozzles around the vessel cancel each other or reduce each other, so the actual impact on the vessel is less.

But, you can manually add forces and moments acting on the vessel at any point in the vessel. This is a detail and can be accessed from the input screen close to nozzle.
Hexagon PPM

#41330 - 03/01/11 09:59 PM Re: WRC 107 : transfering nozzle forces & moments [Re: Mandeep Singh]
akuldiwar Offline

Loc: India
Thank you Mandeep Sir,
It means nozzle loads coming on shell will effect to nozzle to shell
junction only either you apply local or global loads and later its die down and loads reduces accordingly so it will not impact to foundation.
And if we willing to check the effect in foundation then we have to use Force/Moment dialog.
okay and clear.

#41344 - 03/02/11 10:11 AM Re: WRC 107 : transfering nozzle forces & moments [Re: akuldiwar]
Mandeep Singh Offline

Yes your understanding is correct.

A good option would be to add an option those nozzle loads to the vessel. But, user has to be careful and pay consideration to the points that I highlighted above.
Hexagon PPM

#41360 - 03/02/11 09:57 PM Re: WRC 107 : transfering nozzle forces & moments [Re: Mandeep Singh]
Mech Engg Offline

Loc: Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Hi Mandeep

Could you give me some examples of loads (other than Wind, Seismic and dead weight) which are generally given as input in User Force and Moment option of PV Elite ?.

In many of the equipments designed, I have not come across such loads which had to be considered as additional Force and moment to the foundation.

Regards
GS

#41401 - 03/03/11 05:26 PM Re: WRC 107 : transfering nozzle forces & moments [Re: Mech Engg]
Mandeep Singh Offline

I am sure users can give you some examples. Here is one, an equipment/platform attached to the vessel. So, the weight of this equipment will act on the vessel.
Hexagon PPM

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics