Topic Options
#40622 - 02/01/11 04:50 PM Copy Pipe Run & Restraints
Inv_kaos Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi, this is a two part question.

I can't seem to be able to copy a pipe run and its associated valves. I have 3 pumps in parallel and I want to copy the inlets and outlets to the tees I have created for the other pumps.

I don't seem to be able to copy through the list and it doesn't do anything through the graphics display. The manuals don't really touch on this either, they just say copy is possible through the list editor. I don't think duplicate will do what I want either. Can someone please explain the work flow in Caesar II? It was so easy in AutoPIPE, surely I must be missing something..

Also is there any easy way to enter multiple restrains for say 150 nodes in one go? The quickest method I found was through the list, however you can't select multiple cells to paste.. Also the type of restraint doesn't stick and you have to enter it manually through the element editor one at a time. Also the node numbers must be entered manually through this method.
I mean 150 restraints is not large but time consuming enough, I would hate to be doing some of the large jobs this way. What is the quick method to do this?

Thanks for your help.

#40624 - 02/02/11 05:22 AM Re: Copy Pipe Run & Restraints [Re: Inv_kaos]
MDA Offline

Loc: Abu Dhabi
Copying the nodes
Go to input list> Elements> Select the nodes range you want to copy>Block Operations>Duplicate>Define where to copy in in the input out of 3 options> Define node increment
May be you are keeping this value as Zero

#40625 - 02/02/11 08:47 AM Re: Copy Pipe Run & Restraints [Re: Inv_kaos]
Dave Diehl Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
One other point. If the duplicated set has no common node with the rest of the model, the duplicated set will locate the first node of the set at the system origin. Perhaps it's laying on top of existing pipe. You can use the global coordinate reset to move this piping elsewhere.

#40640 - 02/02/11 09:45 PM Re: Copy Pipe Run & Restraints [Re: Dave Diehl]
Inv_kaos Offline

Thanks guys, the problem I was having is my increment was causing the pipe run to 'explode'. I managed to get it working with a higher increment but am still not too sure what is best practice based on nodes inside the block and nodes outside the block? The node numbers seem to rapidly increase.

I noticed if you duplicate a pipe run with restraints and if you rename nodes, only the first restraint for all elements is updated, all the others have to be done manually. Is this a known problem?

What would be good is a duplicate array option, unless it already exists? Pattern multiple instances in one go. I have a two long manifolds with 10 identical inlet and outlet runs on each, is the only method to duplicate and position one at a time?

Also the second part of my first questions still stands, is the list input the best method to add multiple restraints and is there a way to paste to multiple cells (such as types, gap and friction)? I noticed in the load case window I could copy from excel to multiple cells, is there a similar edit via excel method for the list input? And lastly, the type of restraint doesn't seem to stick when using the list input, is this a known error or by design?

Thank you for your assistance.

#40659 - 02/03/11 02:39 PM Re: Copy Pipe Run & Restraints [Re: Inv_kaos]
Loren Brown Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
The duplicate function works extremely well. I have never seen a problem with it duplicating all restraints and all inputs for each restraint (friction, gaps, stiffness, etc.). Send your model to coadetechsupport@intergraph.com and I will look at it. Let me know in the e-mail which elements you want to duplicate and where you want to place the new block and I will try it here.
Intergraph Process, Power, & Marine
12777 Jones Road, Ste. 480, Houston, TX 77070 USA

#40664 - 02/03/11 07:08 PM Re: Copy Pipe Run & Restraints [Re: Loren Brown]
Inv_kaos Offline

Hi Loren,

Sorry I must not have worded it well, duplicating isn't the problem. After I duplicate it and rename the nodes only the first restraint updates to the new node number. I would have thought they all should update, just like they do when duplicating a pipe run.

I am new to this forum, so forgive me if I am wrong, is it only for technical issues with the software? Should I go to another forum like eng-tips for questions?

Thanks for your time.

#40681 - 02/04/11 08:27 AM Re: Copy Pipe Run & Restraints [Re: Inv_kaos]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Use either this Forum or the TechSupport e-mail address that Loren provided.

Please send the job in with instructions so we can go thru the steps.

#40722 - 02/06/11 07:27 PM Re: Copy Pipe Run & Restraints [Re: Richard Ay]
Inv_kaos Offline

There are no steps, it is the same on all models I have tried. Rename nodes and see if restraints have updated.

Thanks anyway.

#40752 - 02/07/11 07:06 AM Re: Copy Pipe Run & Restraints [Re: Inv_kaos]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
My testing shows that all nodes in the block have been renumbered as expected. What did not get renumbered would be referenced nodes outside the block. So if element 510-520 was inside the block, and you renumbered this element to be 1110-1020, but 520 was used outside the block (say to specify a restraint), that restraint wouldn't be renumbered.

This is why that warning dialog is displayed.

#40815 - 02/08/11 11:55 PM Re: Copy Pipe Run & Restraints [Re: Richard Ay]
Inv_kaos Offline

I selected everything and renumbered, so there were no nodes outside the block. I will see if I can send an example through.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics