Hi Richard / Dave Diehl,

I am performing a piping design examination for a client and I need your clarification on the SIF for a 45 degree branch having 4" NS sch. xs connected to a 10" NS sch. xs Header. The SIF specified by CII user in CAESAR II on the intersection point is 15 BF-latrolet. The SIF scratch pad calculates SIFi and SIFo as 2.702.

I have some concerns on the authenticity of calculated SIFs. As I understand the latrolet is not a listed B31.1 Appendix D Geometry. Similar to a cross or a Y type fitting. So any SIF calculated by CAESAR II could be too conservative, can the numbers be trusted.

From my previous technical support experience on CAESAR II, I understand B31.1 Code do not have control over above mentioned fittings, perhaps SIFs should be determined from an FEA (NozzlePro or FESIF)or a fitting manufacturer may be able to provide SIFs. Do you agree?

I have searced the forum but I couldn't find a reply answered by COADEs Developers/Engineers on the latrolet issue.Please shed some light on the latrolet SIFs for the benefit of all of us.

Happy New Year to you and all at Intergraph smile

Best regards,

Naveed Khan