Topic Options
#39103 - 11/19/10 03:16 AM Difference between Linear and non-linear Restraint
prakash_26jan Offline

Loc: oman
dear sir
can you explain me what is the difference between linear and non linear Restraint . because we are generally use non-linear Restraint during static stress analysis where as linear restraint use for Dynamic stress analysis.

i had confusion that how the Same support like +y will work as a non-linear and linear support for static and dynamic analysis.
can some body expalain me with example.

prakash kumar

#39112 - 11/19/10 12:15 PM Re: Difference between Linear and non-linear Restraint [Re: prakash_26jan]
venkatachalam Offline

Loc: tamil nadu chennai
dear prakash,

linear restraint:
full Y support
no gaps allowed
no friction

non-linear restraint:
+y support
gaps allowed
friction allowed

yes dynamic stress analysis should be linearised and you have to use full y support,that supports are called Hold down supports. hold down supports are important in dynamic analysis. regarding the topics you can refer from caesar ii manual or documents.

#39571 - 12/15/10 03:24 AM Re: Difference between Linear and non-linear Restraint [Re: venkatachalam]
prakash_26jan Offline

thank you very much

but still i have some confusion regarding this topic.

when we are performing the static stress analysis and providing +y support. definetly it will be act non- restraint support. but when we are using the same system for dyanamic analysis whether same support(+y) will act like Y (rest+ hold down) . if it is like that then how it is possible the same system will work rest as well as rest with hold hown, but physical support is rest.

i appreciate your fast clarification.

#39573 - 12/15/10 06:00 AM Re: Difference between Linear and non-linear Restraint [Re: prakash_26jan]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
You cannot have non-linear boundary conditions in a dynamic analysis (because the Eigen solution techinique is linear). Therefore, all non-linear restraints that were defined in the Piping Input must be linearized.

CAESAR II can perform this linearization process in-line with the Dynamic Analysis, based on a "Static Load Case" that you reference. This is the first data item on the "Control Parameters" dialog: "Static Case for Non-Linear Restraint Status".

CAESAR II takes the static load case that you specify and evaluates that status of each non-linear restraint based on the output from that specified load case. For a +Y, the output is evaluated to determine if the pipe lifted off or caused a downward load. If the pipe lifted off, then the +Y restraint is removed from the Dynamic Analysis. If the pipe was in contact with the restraint (caused a negative load), then the +Y is changed to a full Y.

#39676 - 12/21/10 04:02 AM Re: Difference between Linear and non-linear Restraint [Re: Richard Ay]
prakash_26jan Offline

thank you for your prompt reply.

thanks

prakash

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics