Topic Options
#3900 - 09/29/05 03:34 PM Another buried piping case
Sergio Antonio Rivera Offline

Loc: Mexico
Our piping designer put an open concrete box for every elbow, tee, flange and valve for a gasoline 8" diameter buried pipe. It was installed 500 mm below the ground level and in some zones gets flooded during the rainy season like now. I want to know the disadvantages of putting a concrete box considering the axial displacement and the depth of 500 mm, is it enough to avoid the pipe floating on the flooded zone?

#3901 - 09/30/05 01:10 PM Re: Another buried piping case
Sun Wee Offline

Loc: Calgary,Canada
It is subject to what kind of process and system. If few length around elbow are un-buried and straight portion is fully buried, there will be no floating problem. Also, if the thermal expansion from buried straight pipe is minor, I do not see any disadvantage. However, I would like you to check;

-is it coated pipe or not ?
-make sure there is no frost heave effect
-is 500 mm too shallow to undertake live load ?
-does elbow portion have enough flexibility to absorb thermal expansion from buried straight pipe ?
-check if the straight portion is enough against buoyancy force
-do not put directly contacted support type at elbow portion, if pipe is coated

Long time years ago, I had involved in a trouble shooting which had leakage problem in pipeline from Jetty to storage tank farm. Some portion was buried and other quite long portion was laid on concrete trench. The pipe laid in trench was lift-up frequently because of buoyancy. Every support point had perforation on pipe and leakage problem because the contact point between pipe(P.E coated) and the steel support on concrete sleeper had a pin-hole.
My conclusion was ; once P.E coated pipe has a small pin-hole or hair crack, the corrosion of metal piping may be easily accelerated by differential oxygen density as “Fretting Corrosion and Crevice Corrosion”. I thought pin-hole or hair crack resulted from dynamic loading during floating and vibrating during pumping.

Hope to hear more opinion from members.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 57 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics