Topic Options
#366 - 06/08/01 09:59 AM Unamused
Edward Klein Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
I've just lost a considerable bit of work on the coversheet for a stress calc I had completed and I am not at all happy about it.

Apparently, the Windows version of Caesar is still limited to 60 lines of text like the old DOS version. Why? I don't know.

Actually, I could have lived with it if it would have stopped me when I had reached the end of the buffer. Instead, it just let me keep typing away and just decided to drop it off when I exited the title page screen. Now I'm having to recreate the lost information in a word document to save with the calc file.

Real impressive work there, people. mad

All the world is a Spring

#367 - 06/08/01 11:08 AM Re: Unamused
Anonymous
Unregistered

Edward L. Klein;

Yes, you are correct and right to be unhappy, CAESAR II allows a maximum 60 lines on the title page.

This will no longer be a limitation in CAESAR II Version 4.40. Unfortunately, we cannot change the structure of the input file in the current release, however, in a future build of version 4.30, CAESAR II will not allow the user to continue entering data once the currently allowed 60 lines are entered.

I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced.

Griselda Mani
Engineer/Programmer

COADE, Inc.

#368 - 06/08/01 06:16 PM Re: Unamused
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try using Word/ Notepad etc. to create a text file and save it along with the caesar.cfg and *._7, *.a, and *._j. (The old familiar "readme.txt")As for all your various and sundry problems I suspect that they will ease in time when you and the Windows version become more familiar.

The DOS V3.24 was quite good for its time, but the windows version has many strengths in its own right, however after using the DOS version for years you have to accept a certain amount of a learning curve.

[ June 09, 2001: Message edited by: John C. Luf ]

#369 - 06/11/01 06:34 AM Re: Unamused
Edward Klein Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Yes, I've switched to Word to create a title page/ report summary. I've developed a standard format that we'll be using and just not using the title page in the Caesar file.

It would be nice if Caesar could be set up to make a call to a word document created by the user as a template for the title page. This would allow the individual companies to customize the report format, but still keep it part of the input file instead of a separate file in the directory.

All the world is a Spring

#370 - 06/11/01 08:34 AM Re: Unamused
Anonymous
Unregistered

Edward,

One way to create custom reports from CAESAR II is to use the optional ODBC export capability introduced in 4.20 and enchanced in 4.30.

There is a template database(CAESARII.MDB) in the system directory of your CAESAR II installation that contains basic templates of all the reports available from CAESAR II. You can edit these reports to add job descriptions or company logo etc.

There is a one time setup before you can use this feature which is documented in the Technical Reference Manual (Chapter 8).

A certain amount of familiarity with Access is needed to edit the reports. The access database also supports multiple files in the same database i.e. you can export the results of several CAESAR II jobs into the same database. This can be very helpful when you have all the results of a project in one database.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics