Topic Options
#3432 - 08/05/05 12:55 AM Basic Question on Gas Pressure Reduction Stations
JohnStation Offline

Loc: UAE
Hi There
I have few Basic Question On Using CAESAR II.
I just Down Loaded the Demo Versions, And You may Consider me as a Complete Newbe.
I work in a company That Builds Mainly “Gas Pressure Reducer Stations”
My Questions are as Follow;
1. Can Caesar II be used With Mediums Such as Gas?
2. We Use Filter Separator, Regulators, Shut Off Valves, Safety Relief Valves, Quite often, Does Caesar II have a Data Base of the Said Items? Otherwise Can I Use them in my Spread Sheet data Entry?
3. One of the most Important thing for me is to get Simply a Report of All the Items (From Bolts To Pipes, Valves, Filters, Regulators…)used in The Design Stage, a report like or Similar to bellow;
Plug Valve, class 300, Size 3”
Ball Valve , Class 600, Size 4”
Elbow, 90 Degree, Carbon steel
…………………………………………
Can Caesar II generate a Report like the above, after Designing the Station using Caesar II?

If The answer to above questions are No, could you recommend a Software that would do The above Jobs?

Best regards,
John

#3433 - 08/06/05 02:17 PM Re: Basic Question on Gas Pressure Reduction Stations
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
John,

To answer your questions:

1) Yes.

2) No. CAESAR II only has the following sub-caterories of the basic "3D-Beam" element:
a) straight pipe
b) curved pipe (bend)
c) rigid element (for valves, flanges, etc.)
d) expansion joint

Everything must be mapped to one of these 4 types.

3) No CAESAR II won't provide this.

CAESAR II performs flexibility analyis of "3D-Beam" elements - basically an infinitely thin stick. CAESAR II is concerned with global system behavior. For example, there is a valve/flange database, and you can select a class 600 4" ball valve. The database is accessed, the weight and length are obtained and inserted into the input, the element is flagged as rigid, and that is it. In fact, the origin of the data is not stored, so the fact that this element is a ball valve is forgotten - because that isn't important to the analysis.

If you want a complete bill of materials, you need to check out a CAD system, such as CADWorx.

There is a wealth of information in this forum. Use the [Search] button above, you'll find many related, interconnected topics relevant to almost any aspect of pipe stress analysis.

#3434 - 08/07/05 10:29 PM Re: Basic Question on Gas Pressure Reduction Stations
JohnStation Offline

Loc: UAE
Hi Richard
Thanks so much for the Comment.
Regading Question 2 , If you are saying that Caesar II does not have any data base abot let's say Shut Off Valves, Regulators, and so on, But Can I add them to it's Data Base.
Or Are you saying that There is no way to use Caesar II to do Sizing Calculation for Let's say again Regulators etc.

Best regards
John

#3435 - 08/08/05 07:13 AM Re: Basic Question on Gas Pressure Reduction Stations
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
The valve/flange database is simply a look-up table to obtain weights and lengths for "common" valves and flanges. By "common" I mean "gate", "globe", "check", and "ball" valves, with and without weldneck flanges. A valve or a flange+valve+flange system is simply a rigid element that transfers forces and moments from one end to the other. The analysis simply needs the weight and length - we don't care about anything else.

No there is no way to do sizing caluclations in CAESAR II. CAESAR II performs a flexibility analysis of the piping system. The program takes your input and sets up a system of equations [K]{x}={f}, where [K] and {f} are derived from your input. The matrix equation is solved for {x}, the displacement vector. From the displacemens and rotations of the node points, the elemental forces and moments are determined. From these values, the code equations are applied to determine the code stresses, which are compared agains the code allowables.

There are a multitude of other factors which must be determined before a flexibility analysis can be initiated, and there are another multitude of factos which must be addressed after the flexibility analysis is completed. Pipe stress programs (CAESAR II included) address the flexibility analysis only.

(CAESAR II does provide auxiliary modules used for equipment and vessesl nozzle analysis, which depend on the output from the flexibility analysis.)

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics