Topic Options
#32248 - 12/31/09 06:16 AM Structural Steel Modelling in Caesar-II
JANARDHANA ACHAR Offline

Loc: INDIA, KARNATAKA, BANGALORE
hi,
I am working as an engineer.
In CAESAR we can model structural steel also. What is the use of Structural steel modelling in CAESAR. If we are modelling whether do we need to model the total bridge, pipe rack or any other primary structure. or only for seconday Structure to support the pipe. In this structural steel modelling we can impose wind load, uniform loading and 'g' loads to the same. if we have included all those loads to structure, again is it necessary to give on pipe also the same loads?
Can u clarify these?

#32249 - 12/31/09 06:16 AM Re: Structural Steel Modelling in Caesar-II [Re: JANARDHANA ACHAR]
JANARDHANA ACHAR Offline

hi,
In structural steel modeller, Error check is available and saying that execution file is generated. but not saying whether that steel can withstand that load or not, i.e. stress fail and other aspects.
Is there any benefits if we are modelling structure and pipe (composite) analysis?

#32592 - 01/14/10 07:53 AM Re: Structural Steel Modelling in Caesar-II [Re: JANARDHANA ACHAR]
Ohliger Offline

Loc: Mannheim,Germany
Yes.
1. You have true stiffness on the pipe restraint with structure modelling togheter with pipe modelling.
2. Structure mass can to covibrate.
Without structure model you havent this.
3. You becomes direct forces and moments on the ground or concrete where connected your structure

Edited by Ohliger (01/14/10 07:55 AM)

#32697 - 01/20/10 01:53 AM Re: Structural Steel Modelling in Caesar-II [Re: Ohliger]
JANARDHANA ACHAR Offline

THANK U FOR YOUR REPLY.
IN STRUCTURAL STEEL MODELLER THERE IS ONLY ERROR CHECK IS AVAILABLE i.e. NO RUN OPTION.
IN THIS, STRUCTURE FAILURE IS NOT POSSIBLE TO SEE. SO WITH THIS WE CANT SELECT THE EXACT SECONDARY STRUCTURE REQUIRED FOR THAT PIPE LOAD. IS IT TRUE?
CAN U EXPLAIN?

#32698 - 01/20/10 02:34 AM Re: Structural Steel Modelling in Caesar-II [Re: JANARDHANA ACHAR]
Ohliger Offline

I think User have 2 ways :
1. - Modeling a pipe input first
- Then modeling a structure input with error check and save
- Back in pipe model and include structure file. Connected with
Cnodes

2. - Model a structure file
- Back in Caesar main menue
- New file => structure
- I think wether the steel ok with the loads you have in Caesar only
one american steel rule included

#32711 - 01/20/10 09:00 AM Re: Structural Steel Modelling in Caesar-II [Re: Ohliger]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
You can analyze a steel structure on its own. AFter error checking, quite the Structural Modeler, then from the Main Menu select "Analysis\Statics".

#32718 - 01/21/10 03:33 AM Re: Structural Steel Modelling in Caesar-II [Re: Richard Ay]
Ohliger Offline

A hint :
I would be an asset in the future Caesar can also calculate the stress in several structure beams for different rules like DIN 18800 etc.
Still better would be an asset a evidence for the stress in the beam connection welds.
I know, welds have different allowable stress and different section moduls.
But if the weld have to complay with conditions like weld length and
weld thickness, then we can detect the stress in the beams cocooning the weld stress.

How work the stress engineer now ?
He calculate the pipe stress, take the moments and forces an the restraints, gives this the structure engineers to calculate the stress in structure and his welds.

Its better do all in one programm.
We can save paper, exspences and to avoid mistake date communications (different coordinate systems etc.)

#32719 - 01/21/10 06:21 AM Re: Structural Steel Modelling in Caesar-II [Re: Ohliger]
stress river Offline

Loc: china
Yes, I agree with the advise of Ohliger.
now , the function of steel structure model is limit in CaesarII.
of course, steel structure analysis is more complicated than piping, it isn't easy to do a comprehensive steel structure analysis.
but for our piping support's analysis , I think it is available to do a sructure analysis.

#32720 - 01/21/10 08:15 AM Re: Structural Steel Modelling in Caesar-II [Re: stress river]
Richard Ay Offline

I have to agree with both of you. The only issue is "time".

#32770 - 01/25/10 05:35 AM Re: Structural Steel Modelling in Caesar-II [Re: Richard Ay]
JANARDHANA ACHAR Offline

In output window, the allowable stress for stress summary is not considering. What shall I do to activate the allowable stress? I have given in material ID all the inputs required like density, Youngs modulus, shear modulus, poissons ratio and etc. Is there anything to activate for getting the stresses developed in the steel?

#32773 - 01/25/10 08:47 AM Re: Structural Steel Modelling in Caesar-II [Re: JANARDHANA ACHAR]
Richard Ay Offline

CAESAR II doesn't compute stresses (or allowables) on structural steel elements. This is because the AISC Unity Check routine uses forces & moments directly in the evaluation.

#32817 - 01/27/10 02:43 AM Re: Structural Steel Modelling in Caesar-II [Re: Richard Ay]
JANARDHANA ACHAR Offline

Dear Richard,
Can you elaborate the above statements?
How can i find that steel will be ok or not by using CAESAR II?

#32827 - 01/27/10 09:53 AM Re: Structural Steel Modelling in Caesar-II [Re: JANARDHANA ACHAR]
Richard Ay Offline

From the "\Analysis" menu, select the AISC option. This checks members individually (although you can have many in the file).

#32875 - 01/29/10 12:50 AM Re: Structural Steel Modelling in Caesar-II [Re: Richard Ay]
JANARDHANA ACHAR Offline

Dear Richard,
In structural steel modelling, option "G loads" available. Whether G loads nothing but Uniform loads as considered in piping. But in that we can't enter any values. Can you clarify?

#32877 - 01/29/10 02:30 AM Re: Structural Steel Modelling in Caesar-II [Re: JANARDHANA ACHAR]
Tengku_Syahdilan Offline

Loc: Indonesia
Dear Richard,
i see that in structural model CAESAR doesn't have Japanese section properties such as H Beam, we in asia may use of this beam very often.
If i use User defined input,and put the properties of H Beam there, will CAESAR treated it as a H Beam ? because in the graphic if we use user defined it will show a pipe section, not a beam....
Can you explain this to me, please............

Regards

Tengku. Syahdilan

#32880 - 01/29/10 06:35 AM Re: Structural Steel Modelling in Caesar-II [Re: Tengku_Syahdilan]
Ohliger Offline

For the stiffness matrix take Caesar your user H Beam values.
But the graphic show not your beam shape.

#32887 - 01/29/10 09:59 AM Re: Structural Steel Modelling in Caesar-II [Re: JANARDHANA ACHAR]
Richard Ay Offline

JANARDHANA,

I'm not sure what you're asking here. If you are asking how to define "G loads" in a piping model, you go to the "Special Execution Options" dialog and check the checkbox for "Uniform Loads in G's".

#32888 - 01/29/10 10:02 AM Re: Structural Steel Modelling in Caesar-II [Re: Tengku_Syahdilan]
Richard Ay Offline

As stated, CAESAR II will use your entered values in formulating the stiffness matrix. The graphics display of a "user defined section" is a "box shape", where dimensions are obtained from your "boxh" and "boxw" values. (CAESAR II doesn't know what shape a "user defined section" corresponds to, hence the "box".)

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics