Topic Options
#32167 - 12/23/09 10:40 PM COADE CAESAR Book
LNG Offline

Loc: Jakarta
Dear all,
i have several times attend COADE Seminar, and have the Seminar note, and it is an excellent seminar that we all can get valuable lesson about how CAESAR work and how to perform stress analysis with good engineering practice and judgment.
But many of young friend that also attend those seminar that don't get the point, and also many engineer out there that start using CAESAR that need to know how CAESAR work, for example how CAESAR II calculate axial stress or bending stress in Sustained case, and how does it calculate those axial or bending stress in Expansion case.
Well, they know it is a simple beam theory and also a finite element theory there, they know it, but we think it can be more useful if COADE explain the formula about that calculation, just like they do in Quick Gude document that come along with the software, only it is to simple to understand.
So it don't bother me (like the others in this forum do) if young engineer that "Using" CAESAR don't know how to read the output result, and where does those number in output came from.
So, i really hope that there will be a book about the theory and formula behind CAESAR Ouput, well just like there is a book about ANSYS, or just take a look the manual guide from Paulin research Group FE/Pipe, they explain in detail about how the program work and the theory also formula in it.
If we told them to read "Design of Piping System" from Kellogg or "Pipe Stress Engineering" from Peng (which is i have read it too), well they will become more confused.
They need the explanation straight forward from the one who build CAESAR.
me personally, think that CAESAR II application guide, Technical Reference and Mechanical Newsletter is good enough, but still there is something missing, and the point come from the basic formula/theory behind CAESAR II output.
I hope that someone in COADE such as Mr. Richard Ay, Dave Diehl, or Mr. Thomas J Van Laan itself (that i hear is writing a book at this time) will consider about this phenomena and what those young engineer outside there need, because after all, it is they that will continue our work in future as Pipe Stress Engineer, they are the future generation, so help them.
Thank you very much.

Best Regards

LNG

#32202 - 12/28/09 08:10 PM Re: COADE CAESAR Book [Re: LNG]
Da Xiong Offline

Loc: China
Yes, as a yong stress engineer, I`m really want to know how CAESAR calculate stress. Because I don`t want to be only know how to input and also want to kown the theory. I hope COADE can supply such kind of refference book.

Thank you very much!

#32214 - 12/29/09 03:40 AM Re: COADE CAESAR Book [Re: Da Xiong]
Van Ha Offline

Loc: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Stress calculation are basic issues. It's not too hard for you to find it out by yourself if you are a mechanical engineer who familiar with FEM(static & dynamic/ linear & non-linear analysis), strength of material and ASME CODE(B31.1, B31.3, etc.)

BR.

Edited by Van Ha (12/29/09 03:42 AM)

#32233 - 12/30/09 04:23 AM Re: COADE CAESAR Book [Re: Van Ha]
LNG Offline

Every Engineer must know about stress calculation. It is ot that point that i try to said before, but rather that a philosopy behind the calculation, there is so much formula in stress calculation, beam theory, FEA, i'm sure none of us can remember all of that in one second, but if you know where you have to use this formula, when you must do this, must to do that, so that is the point. I know it comes from experience, but thats my point here, through all engineer here share your knowledge and experience....

#32596 - 01/14/10 08:56 AM Re: COADE CAESAR Book [Re: LNG]
habo Offline

Loc: Norway

I can relate to this, as a fresh pipe stress engineer with half a year of experience with CAESAR. I guess one of the first "obsticles" to face when coming directly from school, is to get familiar with the code in use (e.g. B31.3), since this governs some of the calculations in CAECAR.

A thorough understanding of code philosophy sheads light on some of the results/calculations in CEASAR that makes a fresh engineer like me ponder a bit.

#32725 - 01/21/10 11:09 AM Re: COADE CAESAR Book [Re: habo]
John Breen Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA (& Texas)
PLEASE!!!!!!

Buy this book and read it 4 times each year for the next 10 years:

http://catalog.asme.org/books/PrintBook/Pipe_Stress.cfm

While you are at that web site look at the Table of Contents - THIS is what you must understand. At the same time become competent in modeling piping systems with Caesar II.

Years ago we had to list about 10 books - each one of them had something to offer. Now it is easy - READ Peng!

Regards, John.

Edited by John Breen (01/21/10 11:12 AM)

#32746 - 01/22/10 02:53 AM Re: COADE CAESAR Book [Re: John Breen]
habo Offline

Loc: Norway

Yes indeed, it is a book that needs to be read many times

My first glance/reading:
"this is just what I need to get familiar with all this stuff that was not taught in the university"

My second reading:
"ok, I have picked up the most important stuff"

My third reading:
"I really dont know much about practical pipe stress work"

This book is a nice companion, especially for newly educated engineers in their first job!

#32748 - 01/22/10 04:37 AM Re: COADE CAESAR Book [Re: habo]
LNG Offline

I have read this book for two times since it was published, and i still want to read it each time to get more deep understanding of it contents.....and also with Kellogg book, it is two of my precious book that i ever read....and last weekend, i spent my times after work and in the weekend to read the "Complete" COADE Mechanical News, and this is what i mean in this post.... i think COADE must publish more Technical discussion like they do before...
So beside the understanding of the Code & Standard, Experience, and read excellent book like Peng and Kellogg book, i think it will more better if X generation of CAESAR user at this time provided with COADE technical discussion like Mechanical News they published before. It will give an understanding not only about Stress analysis but tips and trick using this "Tools".....
Thanks

#32749 - 01/22/10 05:17 AM Re: COADE CAESAR Book [Re: LNG]
stress river Offline

Loc: china
LNG give a great advise.
since 2004, no new Mechanical News published by COADE.
Actually, more and more problem is confusing CII user.
Hope COADE can recovery to publish Mechanical News regularly.

#32754 - 01/22/10 10:27 PM Re: COADE CAESAR Book [Re: stress river]
the_dude Offline

Loc: Singapore
Honestly, I don't know why Coade need to do anything. Their program is intuitive, and the user guide and technical reference manual are outstanding.

I would consider the mechanical news from Coade as a favour to the community, they have no obligation to publish those newsletters. If they do not have the time or desire to write anymore newsletters, then we should be grateful that there is a substantial amount of information already published.

As has been said before, the Peng book is a must have and I also recommend Chuck Becht's B31.3 companion book.

As for the stress calculations, that comes down to theory covered at university and can be found in many technical reference books. Amazon has a great range of useful books. If you want to be able to replicate CII's calcs by hand then you could try modelling a simple anchored beam.

Anyway, not trying to be rude but I think Coade already has provided (and provides) substantial support, just look at these forums, someone cuold make a book out of the content in here!

#32759 - 01/23/10 05:52 PM Re: COADE CAESAR Book [Re: the_dude]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
... and we really would like to publish more newsletters. The problem is as you guessed - "time".

#32771 - 01/25/10 06:37 AM Re: COADE CAESAR Book [Re: the_dude]
stress river Offline

Loc: china
Dude:
if like what you said, CII stop at 4.X is enough;
anything should be go forward.
you think you can deal with any piping analysis work with current CII finction.
At least to me, I also need do more when complicated problem come to me.
for example, Special Nozzle issue is a trouble in CII.

just my personal opinion, be quiet!

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics