Topic Options
#30697 - 10/15/09 09:45 PM UG "to from mesh" question
Strss Offline

Loc:
Hi there,

"A pipe has a "FROM END" and a "TO END". In the Buried Pipe Modeler, CAESAR II can determine how to mesh the model in most instances. However, perhaps you may want to request a fine mesh at a location CAESAR II wouldn't ordinarily. This is why the "FROM END MESH" and "TO END MESH" fields exist.

Do you need different soil models for veritical pipes? It depends on how long the vertical section is and how good your soil data is. This is a judgement call on your part. "

"Further to Rich's comment...

The continuous support of the soil is modeled as discreet point supports in CAESAR II (CAESAR II).

Where bearing in imporant, these additional supports points must be added to the model. CAESAR II will add these extra nodes and supports around bends but it is up to the user to identify other regions where this is important, such as tees. I would also add extra support points where the pipe enters and exists the soil.

By clicking on From End or To End Mesh, you are telling CAESAR II to add these extra support points at the "from end" and/or "to end" of the pipe."

Searched the forum and found both of these quotes from a thread named Underground Pipe Generator.

My question is there any problem if i just tick all "from end mesh" and "to end mesh"? Would it have any impact on the analysis of above ground portion of the piping system?

Thanks

#30698 - 10/15/09 11:28 PM Re: UG "to from mesh" question [Re: Strss]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Quote:
My question is there any problem if i just tick all "from end mesh" and "to end mesh"? Would it have any impact on the analysis of above ground portion of the piping system?

Only in that your total model will have more nodes than necessary, therefore the solution will take longer. The underground meshing does not affect the above ground pipe.

#30699 - 10/16/09 12:11 AM Re: UG "to from mesh" question [Re: Richard Ay]
Strss Offline

Loc:
So a lot of fine mesh leads to more processing time. Thats all right?

Is it a valid and accepted procedure in UG analysis?

When it comes to big piping system, id prefer to tick them all rather than going through every elbows, tees and AG/UG interface.

#30700 - 10/16/09 12:17 AM Re: UG "to from mesh" question [Re: Strss]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
"More processing time" is a relative thing. It depends on how long you want to wait. Also be aware this will increase the size of all output reports that you'll need to review.

Is this valid? I suppose.

Is it accepted? I don't think anyone has done it this way before.

...than going through every elbows, tees and AG/UG interface? You shouldn't have to do this, CAESAR II will handle the elbows and tees. You just need to address the AG/UG interfaces, as well as anything special underground - like a vavle box.

#30701 - 10/16/09 12:52 AM Re: UG "to from mesh" question [Re: Richard Ay]
Strss Offline

Loc:
What about in the case of frp pipes? When tees and Elbows are all
thickened the mesh is less than before thickened (i didnt tick any
"from end mesh" and "to end mesh" for both cases).

#30712 - 10/16/09 10:50 AM Re: UG "to from mesh" question [Re: Richard Ay]
Dave Diehl Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
CAESAR II automatically handles bearing (fine mesh on point restraints) at elbows but not on tees.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics