Topic Options
#29207 - 08/11/09 12:52 PM Pump directly mounted on the vessel
Jayakumar Offline

Loc: Dubai, UAE
Hi All,

In one of my vessel design, Support brackets are welded directly on the vessel to mount suction and discharge pumps on the vessel.

As you know, the vibration will play major role on the vessel design due to rotating equipment attached on the vessel.

I believe, the thrust force due to pump outlet fluid act on the vessels as well. Pump outlet pressure will be 8 bars and nozzle size is 4inches. Is the thrust force check box given in the nozzle WRC calculation will work for me? or can I apply the force on the vessel surface to take care of the thrust load by supports?

Obviously, the vessel will be subjected to the cyclic loading due to frequent switch on and switch off of the pump motor.

I do not aware how to take care of the above mentioned parameters in vessel design. Can some one through light on this matter?

Thanks in advance.

#29227 - 08/12/09 12:17 PM Re: Pump directly mounted on the vessel [Re: Jayakumar]
Mandeep Singh Offline

Loc: Houston, Tx, USA

Just some pointers,

For the local stress around the nozzle, you would probably consider WRC-107 analysis.

To apply those loads globally to the head, use the Force/Moment dialog from the PV Elite main screen.

Can you elaborate on the thrust force from the pump. Will it be pushing in to the head or pulling out. I may be wrong but it seems that this thrust force will push in to the vessel. In that case, you should add the force manually and not check the box for "Pressure thrust"

You can convert the dynamic loads to equivalent static force.

Give consideration to welds (provide radius, grind them smooth, heat treatment) to reduce stress concentration and help with fatigue life.

With so many experts on this forum, some body must have dealt with it ? what do you all think ?

Hexagon PPM

#29245 - 08/13/09 07:38 AM Re: Pump directly mounted on the vessel [Re: Mandeep Singh]
Jayakumar Offline

Loc: Dubai, UAE
Thanks Mandeep for your prompt reply.

As you informed, I have not clearly mentioed regarding the pump thrust. This is vertical vessel of app. 3 m height used for storage of water. The pumps are mounted at 1200 mm from the bottom tanline of the vessel. There are two pumps one is suction pump(Pull out) and the another one is delivery pump(Push in). As you suggested I applied the force on the vessel for delivery pump to take care of delivey fluid force and can I tick mark the "Pressure Thrust" check box for suction pump.

Can someone suggest me, how to convert the vibration force into static forces.

Thanks in advance.

...Jayakumar

Who's Online
0 registered (), 86 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics