Topic Options
#26843 - 04/22/09 05:15 AM Conical Bottom with opening
Maroof Offline

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Hi,

I am designing a pressure vessel which is having a conical bottom. The conical bottom is having a 4" outlet opening right at the bottom end. To define the outlet, from the nozzle data i have selected dimensions for 4" LWNRF. For the bottom cone i have selected the bottom ID as 101.6 mm which is equivalent to the ID of a 4" LWNRF. While analyzing the output file in the nozzle calculation section at the end, the following lines are appearing in red

Warning: Nozzle Layout or placement error. Area for reinforcment
may have been used that does not actually exist in this
situation.
Please check the nozzle geometry and placement carefully.

I am unable to understand as why this error is coming. Also how the required reinforcement area for the bottom nozzle can be calculated.

(I am also having an another query:
When defining a cone, in the additional element data there is a category called Shell section and it has a check box along-with it. I am not clear as what the Help menu wants to convey. In case I am having a conical bottom head with no skirt support do I have to click the check-box. Similarly if I am having a conical bottom head which is supported by a Skirt, do I have to click the check-box).

Can somebody please clear my doubts?

regards

Maroof

#26939 - 04/26/09 01:43 AM Re: Conical Bottom with opening [Re: Maroof]
Maroof Offline

Can anybody please help?

regards,

Maroof

#26999 - 04/28/09 09:04 AM Re: Conical Bottom with opening [Re: Maroof]
alanw7272 Offline

Loc: UK
Maroof,

Please read the ASME Code. I would think this forum is for genuine queries to the Pressure Vessel Code, not the simple understanding thereof!
You are obviously relying on the COADE Software to design your vessel which is not a good approach to vessel design.

Alan

#27001 - 04/28/09 09:08 AM Re: Conical Bottom with opening [Re: Maroof]
Mandeep Singh Offline

Loc: Houston, Tx, USA
Dear Maroof,

when you have a drain nozzle at the end of a cone. It should be modeled as a cone-cylinder junction. Since you are not making any opening in the cone itself, the nozzle calculations do not apply here.

Here is procedure,

Add a cylinder, this is your drain nozzle.

Add a cone, indicate that this cone is not shell section, (as it is conical bottom head). Then you will get 2 lengths, one is the straight flange length of cone, which is at the top. Second is the cone length in the Additional element area (bottom part of the screen).

So, for the conical bottom head, the straight flange length would be very small.

Adjust the cone lengths.

Then, add a skirt, you will be asked does the skirt separate 2 vessels, indicate NO.

Then, increase the skirt length.

If you click on the Input Label and press the F1 you should get the help for the input field. Let us know how it works out.
Hexagon PPM

#27116 - 05/02/09 12:33 AM Re: Conical Bottom with opening [Re: Mandeep Singh]
Maroof Offline

Dear Alan,

Thanks for your valuable comments. If I am having an issue with the software then I think it shall be better if I ask the software programmer. ASME code book clearly says that, "The Section is not a Design Handbook and Engineering judgement must be employed in the selection of Code Rules suitable to any specific service or need". I presume that Softwares are only a tool to analyse and confirm your judgements.

regards,

Maroof

Dear Mandeep,

I would think that this forum is to discuss any problems that you might be facing while designing a vessel wherein you are seeking help / advises from your friends and counterparts. The problem that I am facing today, some other designer might face it tomorrow. If what Mr. Alan is telling is correct, then I have sent my query to your e-mail id at msingh at coade dot com. Kindly do the needful.

regards,

Maroof

Edited by Mandeep Singh (05/04/09 08:07 AM)
Edit Reason: (email spelled out to deter spam)

#27140 - 05/04/09 08:06 AM Re: Conical Bottom with opening [Re: Maroof]
Mandeep Singh Offline

Loc: Houston, Tx, USA
Dear Maroof,

In general, if it is specific problem send the email to "support at coade dot com" (spelled out to deter spam), send you job file and indicate what version of PV Elite you are using.

If you think the problem would be more widespread and you want to discuss about it or find a better to model it, you are welcome to post here.

Hexagon PPM

Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics