Topic Options
#2327 - 12/09/04 01:32 AM Automation in Modelling in CAESAR
Kalpesh Offline

Loc: CHENNAI - INDIA
Hi All,

For modelling in CAESAR I use the existing model in Unigraphics ( made by Routing Application of UG).

The manual approach (that need to be automated)to make use of the existing model in UG is to measure the distance of each pipe element using the command Analyse->Distance in UG. Copy the information displayed in text window and append it in a separate text document. After collecting all the distances for all the elements, have a printout of the appended text file and manually enter the delta values one-by-one in CAESAR and also specify the elemnts like Bend , Restraints , Expansion Joint etc vis-a-vis the delta value input.

Given below is the format in which the delta values appear in text file.

Delta XC = 152.549 X = 144.549
YC = 0.000 Y = 0.000
ZC = 0.000 Z = 0.000

Delta XC = 189.604 X = 181.604
YC = 0.000 Y = 0.000
ZC = 0.000 Z = 0.000

I seek the suggestions from you all on the best way to automate the above process considering the possible interfaces with external programs/data files provided by CAESAR.

Thanks n Regards,

#2328 - 12/09/04 05:26 AM Re: Automation in Modelling in CAESAR
Tanveer Mukhtar_dup1 Offline

Loc: Abu Dhabi UAE
Kalpesh,

First you will have to decide how much deep you want to go. Automating each and every thing is neither possible nor feasible. In my opinion if you manage to automate the modeling of pipe route, support locations, bends (without type) and tees (without type) then you will be at a well optimum point. The rest of the modeling effort should be done manually within Caesar. Having said this there will be four steps to achieve your target
1- Collection of piping information within Unigraphics.
As I am unaware of Unigraphics, I don't know how much flexibility it provides to manipulate its model. I assume that at the end of this step you will have a text file, prepared manually or automatically, which contains the required piping information in a specific format
2- With the help of a language like VB you can develop a program that will read the above text file and prepares another text file with extension cii (Caesar Neutral file) in a specific format. This format is is given in Caesar documentation. Refer Technical Reference Manual page 8-61. If you are handling only pipe route or supports etc then it will be relatively easy to code.
3-Import the neutral file in Caesar
4- Do any required modifications in the model within Caesar

Tanveer Mukhtar
Piping Design Engineer
CCIC UAE

#2329 - 12/09/04 06:40 AM Re: Automation in Modelling in CAESAR
Kalpesh Offline

Loc: CHENNAI - INDIA
Thanks Tanveer,

I think if I can automate only the input of delta values for each pipe element it will be good saving of time. But then can anyone please provide me any utility which reads this simple txt file having delta values and converts it to *.cii.

It will be of great help as I am not much into programming.

- Kalpesh

#2330 - 12/09/04 09:28 AM Re: Automation in Modelling in CAESAR
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
There is nothing currently available in CAESAR&nbspII to help transfer your data in its current state. I suggest you get the help of a programmer and reformat the data, so that it conforms to the format of the "Generic Data Matrix Interface" as discussed in the Technical Reference Manual.

This interface is a simple geometry interface, but it needs node numbers, pipe diameters, and thicknesses, as well as the delta coordinates.

This is your best course of action.

#2331 - 12/13/04 04:42 AM Re: Automation in Modelling in CAESAR
Tanveer Mukhtar_dup1 Offline

Loc: Abu Dhabi UAE
Kalpesh,

If it can save your considerable modeling effort, then I can make the utility program for you. Send me your sample text file with required information
tmukhtar@jgc-descon.com.pk

Tanveer Mukhtar
Piping Design Engineer
CCIC UAE

#2332 - 07/28/05 07:34 AM Re: Automation in Modelling in CAESAR
Martina Offline

Loc: France
Hi,

Same type of subject : Do you know about an interface between SolidWorks piping/routing and Caesar II, a sort of Cadworx for SolidWorks ??

Minimum will be to export geometry from SolidWorks to Caesar.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Martina

#2333 - 07/28/05 07:44 AM Re: Automation in Modelling in CAESAR
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
I'm not aware of such an interface. Check with Soildworks, they may be aware of something.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics