Topic Options
#22667 - 11/24/08 03:06 AM Piping Design Standard
Glenn Offline

Loc: Malaysia
Dear All ,

As mentioned i am new guy in pipe stress analysis world, I wish to learn and explore myself more . So far , the study code i knew in the market is B31.3 , Ukooa & ISO 14692 . I wish to know more about the standard code in the market and can u guys recommend me some common standard used in pipe design & stress analysis. Hopefully have some senior engineer can response to my query .

Regard Glenn

#22675 - 11/24/08 06:52 AM Re: Piping Design Standard [Re: Glenn]
corne Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Glenn, don't know if you're in school or working within a company, but if the latter, don't you have a senior engineer at your company?

The ASME B31 series (of which B31.3 is just one) is often used and accepted all over the world. UKOOA and ISO14692 are for FRP pipes. There is a european code EN-13480 too which is not that old and becoming more the european standard. Further there are a lot of different codes for different countries and use. Just google on all the different codes available in CII.

Understanding the code is one thing, but understanding the principles of the codes is another one, and maybe even more important. You'll need a senior to guide you there.

#22681 - 11/24/08 08:04 AM Re: Piping Design Standard [Re: corne]
Robin Offline

Loc: San Leon, Texas

The following may be found helpful:

ASME B31.3 Process Piping by Woods and Baguley

Introduction to Pipe Stress Analysis by Kannappan

Technical Articles on coade web site

But nothing beats guidance form a senior.

#22701 - 11/24/08 06:08 PM Re: Piping Design Standard [Re: Glenn]
bom Offline

Loc: Manila, Philippines
You got Sir Corne answers... and Mr. Robin

In addition please read Design Piping System by Kellogg. In my experience this is the most fundamental/basic book I had.

Regards!

#22702 - 11/24/08 06:16 PM Re: Piping Design Standard [Re: corne]
Glenn Offline

Yes , i am still a junior engineer , just touch with stress few months ago . i wish i can learn more that the reason i wish to know the popular code in the market. I not very about my senior , because they all are new as what i knew . So , i need help from the forum.

Regard Glenn

#22716 - 11/25/08 04:02 AM Re: Piping Design Standard [Re: Glenn]
jane_k Offline

Loc: asia
it is impossible to learn pipe stress from the forum or by reading the code. You need basic understanding and knowledge on pipe stress to understand most of the explanation in this forum.

The forum is not a good source for a beginner who wish to learn pipe stress. It is a forum which ''help/support'' but not teach. An experience senior is essential for your situation.

#22741 - 11/25/08 06:14 PM Re: Piping Design Standard [Re: Robin]
Glenn Offline

Ok thanks for sharing , but i think is better refer to standard Like ASME B31.3 , from i will benefit more .

#22743 - 11/25/08 07:08 PM Re: Piping Design Standard [Re: jane_k]
bom Offline

Loc: Manila, Philippines
Originally Posted By: jane_k
The forum is not a good source for a beginner who wish to learn pipe stress. It is a forum which ''help/support'' but not teach. An experience senior is essential for your situation.

No. This forum is a lead to study in stress "NOT JUST HELP/SUPPORT in caesar".. How about Sir John Breen, Sir John Luf, Sir Dave, Sir Ricard, Sir Anindya, Sir Juko, Sir Tim(Superpiper), Sir CraigB, Sir Edward and other seniors explaining it from the basic concept of stress? Or saying "read this and that and this"?. You can never see the beauty of this forum unless you will read all the way back 1999. sick

"And please remember" This senior i mention are more experience than you can think off! Cheers wink

Glen, the code is not a cook book. As I mention above find a text book and study it.

Regards,

#22750 - 11/26/08 02:43 AM Re: Piping Design Standard [Re: bom]
Glenn Offline

Agreed with you , BOM thanks for your encouragement i will detail study the ASME B31.3

#22794 - 11/27/08 02:58 AM Re: Piping Design Standard [Re: bom]
jane_k Offline

Loc: asia
i will said so because for a beginner who know not much, sometime it is hard to digest some of the explanation. maybe my basic concept is not enough. blush

agreed with you that it is a lead to study in stress.
because the more i don't understand what they said, it encourage me to study even more with all the useful link provided!self-reading is essential ,what i mean is, a senior in the company to help the junior is important too. (i m not saying the forum don't have senior who are experience!! i am refering Glenn's company)

:)i never doubt how experience those people in this forum are.

#22833 - 11/28/08 10:18 AM Re: Piping Design Standard [Re: jane_k]
John Breen Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA (& Texas)
Glenn,

You will discover that the search function on this discussion board can bring you a wealth of information. Nearly ANY piping design topic or Code topic that you will encounter has already been discussed here. You can search for topics and read the various threads for discussions of those topics. If, in your study, you have difficulty with a specific topic you should form a concise, unambiguous question and post that question here - you will get many good "points of view" from those who regularly post here. ASK QUESTIONS and remember that you are not alone - some people are reluctant to ask questions and so perhaps the answer to YOUR question will also be useful to someone else. You will find that if you are willing "to do your homework" and TRY to find the best answer to your questions in the previous threads, the people who contribute here will be much more receptive to your future questions.

Also, Bom has provided you with a list of frequent contributors to these discussions. You can for example search for all the contributions of John Luf or Anindya or any of the others and read what they have written in the past. You will find this very educational. This discussion board also provides a way of asking questions of specific members by way of "private messages". Also PLEASE DO find all the COADE newsletters ("Mechanical Engineering") from the past and print them, read them and put them in a folder for future reference. As mentioned above, there are books you should read. Some of the old (out of print) books may be very expensive (sometimes the shipping charges are also very expensive) but you may be able to find some titles in libraries near you.

There are good books CURRENTLY IN PRINT that may answer most of your questions about the fundamental concepts. The book by Glenn Woods and Roy Baguley (Practical Guide to ASME B31.3) and the Book by Dr. Charles Becht, IV, (Process Piping, A Complete Guide to ASME B31.3) are excellent. If you study and "digest" these books you will learn most of the basic concepts quickly. You may want to "dig deeper" to find the history of some of the Code concepts but it is best to "learn how to walk before you try to learn how to run". If when you read these books you have a need to discuss the concepts further then bring the specific concept to this forum.

Regards, John.

#22836 - 11/28/08 01:18 PM Re: Piping Design Standard [Re: John Breen]
Sam Manik Offline

Loc: Jakarta, Indonesia
For my self, I found in some/many topics this forum is a very good sources. Thx...

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
1 registered (M Waheed), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics