Topic Options
#2072 - 09/07/04 08:36 PM Fatal Error 367
Matt C Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi,
I have recently installed Caesar II on my Windows XP Pro desktop at work and although it appears to load up okay, I have not been able to open a demo file or create a new file - each time i try i get Fatal Error 367. I've tried deleting the control file but i can't find it, i've also tried creating my own UserID, but the setup/configuration module has a runtime error when i try and save the 'miscellaneous' tab.

When I typed a three letter name into the UserID and pressed "Exit w/ Save" I got the following runtime error:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library. Runtime Error! Program: C:\PROGRAM FILES\CAESAR\C2SETUP.EXE - abnormal program termination"

I tried opening a file afterwards anyway but unfortunately it still isn't working and I get the same error (367).

Any ideas? Should I have downloaded a patch after installing Caesar II? (I am using Caesar II build 4.50.040120 on Windows XP Pro, however I noticed when I get into Caesar II's Help >> About Caesar II it says Windows NT 5.1.2600, Service Pack 1 for the operating system).

Can anybody help? (I am corresponding with somebody from Coade at the moment but with the time difference to Australia trying one new fix per day is taking a while...)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#2073 - 09/08/04 01:44 PM Re: Fatal Error 367
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
This sounds like a "permission problem".

On installation, the Configuration Module is run to create a default configuration file in the "program directory". After that, subsequent use of the Configuration Module writes the configuration file to the current data directory. You must have "write access" to any directory you attempt to write to.

The problem with having "working files" and "working folders" beneath "c:\program files" is that you often don't have "write permission" unless you have "administrator rights" when you login. (This is why most installation instructions require that you have "admin rights".)

The "367" error could be caused by the same problem. If you can't write to the data directory, you can't create the CONTROL file. I doubt your issue has anything to do with the "USER_ID", since you're working on drive "C".

You really don't want your data files under "c:\program files". I would suggest you keep your data in a directory different from program directory. It makes things a whole lot easier to archive and upgrade.

#2074 - 09/08/04 08:51 PM Re: Fatal Error 367
Matt C Offline

Loc: Australia
Richard, thanks for your assistance!

Will try that, as soon as the IT department gives me access to my own c: so i can move things around...

Regards,
Matt

#2075 - 09/08/04 08:55 PM Re: Fatal Error 367
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
If you have problems with the "access rights", reinstall the software somewhere else, say on "drive D".

You need "read/write" access to \caesar\system if you plan on using the accounting facility, or if you ever need to modify the material database. (There are other reason also, but those are rare.) You don't need "write" access to \caesar once the software has been installed.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics