Topic Options
#20319 - 08/27/08 08:00 AM LOCATION OF PIPE SUPPORT
air Offline

Loc: lagos, nigeria
HI GUYS,
AM NEW WITH STRESS, CAN ANY BODY HAVE ANY MATERIAL THAT TELL WHEN TO APPLY DIFFERENT TYPE OF SUPPORT, LIKE BASE SUPPORT WITH SLIDING PLATE, SPRING SUPPORT,HANGER,DIRECTIONAL ANCHOR ETC.HOW DO YOU CALCULATE THE STATIC FRICTION COEFFICIENT,FOR A PERTICULAR RESTRAIN.OR IF ANYBODY HAVE IDEAL HOW IT BEEN DONE,I WILL BE GREATFULL. THANKS. This my email iairis@yahoo.com

#20322 - 08/27/08 11:03 AM Re: LOCATION OF PIPE SUPPORT [Re: air]
NozzleTwister Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas U.S.A.
Use the seach function and you will a weath of information and references you are looking for already posted to this site.

#20325 - 08/27/08 03:02 PM Re: LOCATION OF PIPE SUPPORT [Re: NozzleTwister]
irfan5 Offline

Loc: india
m also looking for da same

#20396 - 08/30/08 07:59 AM Re: LOCATION OF PIPE SUPPORT [Re: irfan5]
Jouko Offline

I actually have a problem with this type of questions. For me stress analysis is about the last item you use in pipe design. To be quite honest if user of a software doesn't know when to use what type of support then he or she should not have the software. It is simply too dangerous. CAESAR II will happily calculate and give "code compliance" for pipe designs that are absolutely and totally useless and or dangerous.

If you know how to use CAESAR II it doesn't mean you are pipe designer
If you know how to use AutoCAD is doesn't mean that you are draughtsman
If you know how to use AccPac it doesn't mean that you are accountant

Jouko
jouko@jat.co.za

#20398 - 08/31/08 06:01 AM Re: LOCATION OF PIPE SUPPORT [Re: Jouko]
shan Offline

Loc: sharjah
Dear all,

I feel these amateur people are not claiming that "they are doing stress analysis for a critical line and have these kind of doubts". if so, then it is highly contemptible.

But, these people are claiming that thay are new to stress and have interest and wanna learn it. if we cant help them, better we dnt demotivate them.

we should not forget that we were also like this when we started our career. no one can claim here that he/she learnt stress analysis by god's grace. everyone needed help in the beginning.

If these new people with ridiculous doubts do analysis without knowing the fundamental, then the lead engineer who engaged them in project is the one to be screwed up. not these amateurs.

I have seen people giving such a demotivating replies in this forum often. and i have seen those new people hardly participate in discussions there after. coz, they immediately feel stress is something mysterious subject, we cant learn it.

please try not to give such replies to simply show that you are experienced. if possible pass on your valuable knowledge to people and take pride from that. share your knowledge and motivate the next generation. its my humble request to all having experience & knowledge which has no use for others.

#20402 - 08/31/08 07:53 PM Re: LOCATION OF PIPE SUPPORT [Re: shan]
bom Offline

Loc: Manila, Philippines
Hi shan,

I agree with you,.. I also recieve that kind of reply frown .. "But" lets not look that negative reply as negative at all, lets look at its result..

I believe its a fine way to encourage people to read first before asking. Our dear Sir Jouko reply is something to think not just once but many times.

It will be wise (in my point of view) that Air should ask for reference book/guide/manuals rather than those detail jobs. It obliges me to have a copy of Kellogg, Sam Kannappan, Pipe Support and Design and more.. (spend personal money for that) just to be in the "shell" of this career.

Finally, a stress engineer must have its BASIC knowledge, a degree of engineering understanding and not just a degree..

Sorry if this will sound's hard, I just want to explain a 30+ years experience fellow(Sir Jouko) points..

I hope this will help air,..

Regards!

#20413 - 09/01/08 07:53 AM Re: LOCATION OF PIPE SUPPORT [Re: bom]
Jouko Offline

Sorry for being unpolite. If the question would be "I am new to pipe design..." then it would be OK for me. Pipe design doesn't start with CAESAR II and stress analysis. Pipe design starts with pen and paper. You get P&I, plant GA and similar information. Then you sketch something. Using simple calculations, literature etc you make the routing within allowable space that you think will work. Then you add the supports based on your knowledge what is required. Company standards, literature and support supplier's literature is helping here. Now you should have relatively clean sketch and preferably in ISO mode on A3 ISO paper. Next step for me is to ask second opinion from the boss or an other designer.

After everybody agrees with the design you make a decision if the line requires stress analysis. If the answer is yes you take out CAESAR II - not before.

In case the pipe routing is given and you are required to add supports and "do stress" you still start with pen and paper. I cannot think any pipe design case where you start with stress analysis without having the supports and design sorted out first.

Jouko
jouko@jat.co.za

#20425 - 09/02/08 01:03 AM Re: LOCATION OF PIPE SUPPORT [Re: Jouko]
shan Offline

Loc: sharjah
Mr. Jouko,

I am sorry if the way i expressed my contention hurt you. I wanted to tell this in general. i didnt want to mean you in particular. please dnt take it personally.

You are in all the way right. i agree that anyone who want to master stress analysis should have patience to learn it starting from the P&I stage. He/she should have clear idea about materials, layout and supports before learning stress analysis. We also design our fresh graduates training program in such a way. if any new guy feels that someone should explain him about stress in a page of paper and that new guy should become a master in stress within a day, then they will never become one. I hope those new guys (air & irfan) would understand it now and put some effort on learning in this way.

And BOM, thanks for providing the names of right reference books. they would prefer now to buy those and go through it. it is upto them now.

I appreciate the way Mr. jouko has explained about how a piping design phase should go. thank you mr. jouko.

#20426 - 09/02/08 05:24 AM Re: LOCATION OF PIPE SUPPORT [Re: Jouko]
air Offline

Loc: lagos, nigeria
jouko, what are you feeling like, god of stress analysis, if that what you are then why did you join the forum. every body is here to lean one way or the other , if you feel that some question dont not make sence then dont reply. have been doing pipe routing and support for more than three year and i know how to apply the code, only that am just new to CAESAR II software. i found out when i apply some support it increase the stress on the pipe, trying to get some basic that why i raise that question.
jouko dont feel u know all if not you will not be here.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
1 registered (s. koushik), 43 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics