Topic Options
#19425 - 07/22/08 07:59 AM Air Cooler
Glindepp Offline

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
When we analysis pipes attached to Air-Cooler, we create an anchor at the nozzle connection, and create Cnode. Also activate displacment at the Anchor for air cooler nozzle. The displacment regarding air-cooler manufacture is .50 inch in one direction or .25 inch in both direction.
When we create displacemt and than we see the results for restrain summary at the anchor connection of the nozzle. The moments are all 0 (ZERO).
Is that valid answer when we create displacment the moments at that nozzle connections are 0 (ZERO). Please give me some feed back.
Want to make sure the steps of my analysis for Air-Cooler is valid.
Thank you

#19426 - 07/22/08 08:02 AM Re: Air Cooler [Re: Glindepp]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
When you specified those displacements, what did you do in the RX, RY, and RZ fields? If you left them blank, they are "free" and that is why you're getting zero for the moments.

Nozzles don't have "free" degress-of-freedom. Specify 0.0 for the RX, RY, and RZ fields.

#19507 - 07/24/08 06:02 AM Re: Air Cooler [Re: Richard Ay]
Edward Klein Offline

You know, Richard, I think this point is one that gets missed all too often and clearly makes a big difference in the results. I was just giving this warning to one of my junior guys yesterday.

I think it would probably be useful in future updates of Caesar to make displacement definitions a part of the error checking. A warning ought to be issued if some displacement fields are left blank to let the analyst know that the point is free to translate/rotate in the blank directions.

All the world is a Spring

#19512 - 07/24/08 06:37 AM Re: Air Cooler [Re: Edward Klein]
Richard Ay Offline

Yes I agree, this point is often missed. However, you wouldn't believe the number of calls and e-mails from users who want to "turn off" warnings so they don't show up in reports. Even when I explain it is just a warning and all is "ok" if you agree with it.

We need to think about this one.

#19523 - 07/24/08 12:03 PM Re: Air Cooler [Re: Richard Ay]
Edward Klein Offline

Well, I can appreciate that position to a degree. It can get annoying when you get a warning each time you make a run for something that you've made a conscious choice to accept. I could also see it creating an issue if a less sophisticated client wants to "check" you report and sees a page full of warnings.

I suppose what would be most useful, would be for some way to dismiss a warning during the first error check, and then have the program remember that you have acknowledged the warning already and not show it again for later runs. Something like that would probably have to be kept in an external XML file the way the graphics view settings are now.

All the world is a Spring

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics