Topic Options
#18727 - 06/18/08 08:01 PM Very high pressure piping analysis
Grant Offline

Loc: Korea, Republic of
Hi, everyone~

Regarding a very high pressure piping system over 2500 bar as found in processes such as LDPE, I have no experience in this kind of system so I would like to ask for some advice :

1) Is it possible to use CAESAR II for static(sustained & thermal) analysis of this kind of system?
2) Is there any engineering company who is specialized to or can carry out this kind of high pressure piping system analysis?

Have a good day~

#18729 - 06/18/08 08:27 PM Re: Very high pressure piping analysis [Re: Grant]
Sam Manik Offline

Loc: Jakarta, Indonesia
Dear Grant,

Just try to reply with a link in previous post by Young-il Kwon:
http://www.coade.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=18244&page=2#Post18244

#18919 - 06/26/08 07:51 PM Re: Very high pressure piping analysis [Re: Sam Manik]
Grant Offline

Dear Manik,

Thank you for the reply.

It seems CAESAR is probably not the solution to very high pressure piping system.

But, as you know that some sort of refinery and chemical process requires this very high pressure piping. If it shall be done by a special method, is there a such kind of software tool?

Many thanks again,

Grant

#18920 - 06/26/08 09:15 PM Re: Very high pressure piping analysis [Re: Grant]
Sam Manik Offline

Loc: Jakarta, Indonesia
Dear Grant,

Maybe the very expert person in this forum like Sir Richard Ay, Loren Brown, and John Breen are the right person to answer this. You can browse also:

http://www.press-sci.com/
http://www.press-sci.com/jb_res.htm

I believe Nastran can handle this. Nastran provides many type of elements. Be careful with the loading definition and boundary condition. Please note also that Nastan is scientific based not code based. So Nastran does not has responsibility to any Code.

I ever saw my friend did analysis to pressure vessel using Nastran. That time our client ask to did that beside doing hand calculation using ASME. He modeled the vessel first by using solid works. Bring it to Nastran, Defined element and meshing it there.

All of this is my own opinion. Any comment from others welcomed.

#18933 - 06/27/08 03:16 PM Re: Very high pressure piping analysis [Re: Sam Manik]
CraigB Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
NASTRAN or ANSYS or some other finite element software package will calculate stresses for any given load case. However, the piping codes are mostly fatigue based, so using the output from such a package with B31 allowables requires extra work.

Among other things, the FEA packages calculate local stresses, and the piping codes operate off of average stresses through the pipe cross-section. So you have to post-process the stress numbers you get out of the FEA package to get the numbers required for a Code analysis.

You need to calculate all the relevant load cases using the FEA software and then manually process and combine the data under the applicable Code rules. I estimate that this will take you up to 10 times longer than a CAESAR II analysis, and that only if you are sensible enough to limit your hand processed data to a small number of the most highly stressed points. If you are foolish enough to try to check every node, you may never finish.

BTW, I am not sure that Alan Selz is actively in business any more. I'm sure John Breen can provide a more accurate statement as to Alan's current activity level.

#18992 - 06/30/08 08:01 PM Re: Very high pressure piping analysis [Re: CraigB]
Grant Offline

Dear Manik and CraigB,

Thank you for kind advice. It is a vaulable information to me.

I will look into the information further.

Grant

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics