Topic Options
#17255 - 04/13/08 10:21 AM www.eng-tips.com
Shahid Rafiq Offline

Loc: Abu Dhabi UAE
I know this forum is about Caesar II, but I know that many of you may be able to help me. I am unable to become a member of www.eng-tips.com. Whenever I try, it gives error message. So is there anything that I can do? I have wrote to www.eng-tips.com about this problem, without any reply.

#17256 - 04/13/08 05:10 PM Re: www.eng-tips.com [Re: Shahid Rafiq]
bom Offline

Loc: Manila, Philippines
Originally Posted By: Shahid Rafiq
I know this forum is about Caesar II, but I know that many of you may be able to help me. I am unable to become a member of www.eng-tips.com. Whenever I try, it gives error message. So is there anything that I can do? I have wrote to www.eng-tips.com about this problem, without any reply.

No.. try reading some post.

#17272 - 04/14/08 08:16 AM Re: www.eng-tips.com [Re: Shahid Rafiq]
John Breen Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA (& Texas)
Originally Posted By: Shahid Rafiq

Shahid,

All discussion boards (forums) must protect themselves and the other people who respect the rules of the boards. Each of the boards has its own method. You must know that it is not possible to "hide" your identity from the board owners even by using proxies (and changing your "screen name" and registering again will not work). The moderators will set sanctions against signing-on to a board if a user has previously abused the rules of the board. Some board owners and/or moderators will kindly send an email of warning to someone who has violated the board rules because it may have been a mistake that was made due to naivety (you get one chance to change your ways). Other boards will not give you the benefit of the doubt and they will ban you for your first mistake as you are creating work for them that they do not need.

We come together at the engineering discussion boards as a community of equals. We should always try to behave as ladies and gentlemen and respect each other regardless of our perception of the skills or knowledge of others. That is the spirit of the engineering discussion forums - share ideas while respecting our fellows. There is an assumed level of what we term "netiquette" (http://www.albion.com//) that should be displayed when we participate in discussion forums. There are some implicit rules beyond simply being respectful. For example asking questions that have been asked many times before will likely arouse the ire of the "regulars" at any discussion board (ALWAYS use the search function to read previous "threads" that pertain to the topic at issue - that is a function of "netiquette"). AND ALWAYS read and observe the rules of the forum that are provided at the top of the Caesar II discussion board.

Regarding Eng-Tips, perhaps someone offended the rules while using your computer? I think Eng-Tips management will usually send a "warning" email to notify a user of some unintended breach of the rules there. If there are repeated rules violations or one violation that is particularly egregious the offender will be banned. From what you describe, it sounds as though something has happened to cause you (your identity) to be banned. You can contact Eng-Tips management through the "contact us" tab at the top of that page.

Regards, John

Edited by John Breen (04/14/08 09:52 AM)

#17274 - 04/14/08 08:53 AM Re: www.eng-tips.com [Re: John Breen]
Shahid Rafiq Offline

Sir,

Thanks for detailed reply!

I agree that once you are online (or anywhere else for that matter), you should behave properly. If it is for this reason alone then I am surprised to know this. Although I used the computers in my office. But I doubt that someone would have done some non-sense thing with my account.

Folks at the www.eng-tips.com are doing a great job. They are doing a great service to the engineers. This is one good reason to respect them. Respect I do and respect I WILL for such people who find some time to help others to learn.

The problem that I am facing is not only happening to me. I saw a similar post at Yahoo Answers. Sometimes it seems that www.eng-tips.com is not accepting ANY new membership.

I tried to contact them by the same way as you specified above, but did not receive reply.

Thanks again!

#17275 - 04/14/08 09:58 AM Re: www.eng-tips.com [Re: Shahid Rafiq]
John Breen Offline

Hello again Shahid,

Perhaps if you try again to contact Eng-Tips management through the "contact us" tab at the top of that page it will bring some response? Use the tab "Contact Management At ENG-TIPS Forums".

Sometimes boards will not register those who have been previously banned or who do not supply proper contact information (e.g., valid email addresses). Also, sometimes a user will adopt an offensive signature as an attempt at humor and that will not be tolerated.

Regards, John

Edited by John Breen (04/14/08 10:05 AM)

#17276 - 04/14/08 10:13 AM Re: www.eng-tips.com [Re: John Breen]
John Breen Offline

Hello all,

Please excuse my slight "highjacking" of this thread but I think in reference to discussion boards in general I would like to share some information regarding a policy that some board moderators have adopted. I will quote:

"We're sorry to have to do this but due to Yahoo.com's insistent policy of refusing to deliver emails sent from the Board, we have no choice but to ban all users who have registered using yahoo.com email addresses.

For months, Yahoo has been bouncing email notifications of watched topics, PM notices, activation notices. new registration notices etc.

Every day we get hundreds of these bounces. Attempts at resolving the problem with Yahoo by both myself and our ISP have proven fruitless.

We have no other choice but to ban all users and new registrations from Yahoo mail accounts effective March 1.

Due to excessive spammer registrations we have also banned all new registrations made with Gmail email accounts. Users already registered with Gmail accounts are not affected.

If you are currently registered with a Yahoo.com email address and wish to continue using the Board after March 1, it will be necessary for you to change your email address in your Profile or register a new account with a different email provider.

You must be logged in, go to your Profile, change the email address in the email box and be sure you click the Submit button at the bottom. Your account will require re-activation which may take several hours.

You should also avoid Hotmail, they are headed in the same direction."

This is provided for your information and I suspect it will become the policy for many discussion boards.

Edited by John Breen (04/14/08 01:46 PM)

#17278 - 04/14/08 11:03 AM Re: www.eng-tips.com [Re: John Breen]
Shahid Rafiq Offline

Thank Mr. Breen!

As I often tell my friends, you are ALWYAS there to help newbies like me (trying to learn piping).

The information you have provided here (and provide to other threads) is very useful to us.

Edited by Shahid Rafiq (04/14/08 11:20 AM)
Edit Reason: Unnecessary for others

#17578 - 04/24/08 08:59 AM Re: www.eng-tips.com [Re: John Breen]
Shahid Rafiq Offline

Originally Posted By: John Breen
Hello again Shahid,

Perhaps if you try again to contact Eng-Tips management through the "contact us" tab at the top of that page it will bring some response? Use the tab "Contact Management At ENG-TIPS Forums".

Sometimes boards will not register those who have been previously banned or who do not supply proper contact information (e.g., valid email addresses). Also, sometimes a user will adopt an offensive signature as an attempt at humor and that will not be tolerated.

Regards, John

Probably the folks at www.eng-tips.com take too much time. Its been more than 20 days that I sent my request to them and yet no reply from them.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics