Topic Options
#16298 - 02/27/08 06:50 AM What Do You Like and Dislike About 5.10?
mul211 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati
I like it that the output graphics are back to the way they used to be. Able to zoom in etc. Flange qualification is good. A lot of the other new features like ft. and inches in the elements section are a hassle. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I haven't tried the Isogen feature yet.

#16347 - 02/28/08 12:14 PM Re: What Do You Like and Dislike About 5.10? [Re: mul211]
SUPERPIPER Offline

Loc: Europe
graphics speed is ace.

Its abillity to Crash is better

#16676 - 03/17/08 08:24 AM Re: What Do You Like and Dislike About 5.10? [Re: SUPERPIPER]
mul211 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati
I agree with Superpiper, 5.10 has the ability to crash quite easily. There are quite a few bugs in it that should have been fixed before release. This version seems very unstable. There already are 2 patches and hot fixes for 5.10. In addition it's a hassle not being able to run 5.10 files on 5.0 or earlier versions. In my office I had so much trouble with 5.10 I was not going to load it for the rest of my group but instead I had to since my 5.10 files would not run with their 5.00 machines.

#16679 - 03/17/08 12:19 PM Re: What Do You Like and Dislike About 5.10? [Re: mul211]
Shahid Rafiq Offline

Loc: Abu Dhabi UAE
I liked 5.10 for some of its features as the output has some options that 5.0 did not. But overall this version is not being liked by my colleagues and me. As Jim said the files dont open in version 5.0. The system becomes too slow. The output in word is another problem. I dont know why COADE, threw away the option of maximum stress, max Fx, Max displacement options in their new versions.

Shahid

#16684 - 03/17/08 06:44 PM Re: What Do You Like and Dislike About 5.10? [Re: Shahid Rafiq]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Quote:
I agree with Superpiper, 5.10 has the ability to crash quite easily. There are quite a few bugs in it that should have been fixed before release. This version seems very unstable.

There is a new download available (named "graphics+FlgOutput.zip") that anyone with "unexplained crashes" should grab. Take the other "instructional download" - it will hopefully save headaches in the future.

What does this hopefully fix graphics wise? We visited a client who was experiencing "unexplained crashes" and watched them work. What we found was that it was the speed at which they used the mouse that was causing the problem. They managed to change data and get back to the graphics and click on some object being redrawn so fast, that the object didn't exist (yet) in the new data structure, and the tooltip couldn't be displayed - hence the crash.

If you install this download, and still experience problems, we need to know exactly what you're doing. If we can't reproduce it, we can't fix it. This is why we are so interested in users being beta testers - everyone uses the software differently. If the software crashed for us, we wouldn't release it. There were no bugs, that we were aware of, at the time of release.

Quote:
There already are 2 patches and hot fixes for 5.10.

There is only one patch. If you would rather we keep the hot fixes secret we can do that. Or perhaps we should sneak things onto your machine the first Tuesday of every month the way Microsoft does.

Quote:
In addition it's a hassle not being able to run 5.10 files on 5.0 or earlier versions.

We have always stated that piping input files are upward compatible only. We always state in the distribution letter that piping input files are not downward compatible. If, occasionally, you can take an input file down in version that means for that particular release, the input data structure didn't change. Consider this good fortune.

Quote:
The system becomes too slow.

Version 5.10 is substantially faster than 5.00. Please send your model and a description of the slow down to techsupport@coade.com. This shouldn't be happening.

Quote:
The output in word is another problem.

I agree, 100%. The problem though is MS Word. We spent quite a lot of time with Microsoft trying to speed this up. Their reply: "anything over 6 pages is a big document"; and "formatting tables is very slow". So at the moment we are investigating other alternatives, but we are really throttled here.

Quote:
dont know why COADE, threw away the option of maximum stress, max Fx, Max displacement options in their new versions.

We didn't throw anything away. These options should work if you get the 080207 build.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a suggestion: If you ever find yourself fighting the software, either (a) you don't understand something, or (b) we don't understand something. So rather than continuing to fight and be unhappy and frustrated, send us an e-mail. We need to know what the issues are, or we can't improve the software.

#16685 - 03/17/08 08:03 PM Re: What Do You Like and Dislike About 5.10? [Re: Richard Ay]
John C. Luf Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
As soon as CAESAR II left DOS it became subject to the whims of the world of Micros*^t. Time and again I have watched Richard et. al. fighting something that Micros*^t was the root cause of only to be blamed for it.

The simple fact is that unlike Micros*^t COADE does listen and will try to improve their software. If you prefer a static piece of software buy a piece of software that is more static... of course your complaint would then be "Why don't we see any improvements?"

John C. Luf

#16710 - 03/18/08 10:01 AM Re: What Do You Like and Dislike About 5.10? [Re: Richard Ay]
Jouko Offline

Quotation from Microsoft book for MS Office: "Word is ideal for the initial organizing, writing, editing, and proofing of a publication." I like that Microsoft's wording "initial". I like also their admission of 6 pages.

Have you looked at standard XML. Open Office can open it and then we do not need a license for MS Office? Those who have MS Office should be able to open XML also.

An other option is not to use MS Office Servers if you can generate the report without them. They are problematic and change in each release.

Jouko
jouko@jat.co.za

#16711 - 03/18/08 10:05 AM Re: What Do You Like and Dislike About 5.10? [Re: Jouko]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
XML was attempted initially with 5.00. When it went to beta people screamed - reports were taking 10 minutes to generate. This is due to the fact that XML is text and is inherently much slower than dealing with binary data.

#16796 - 03/23/08 01:18 PM Re: What Do You Like and Dislike About 5.10? [Re: Richard Ay]
Shahid Rafiq Offline

Loc: Abu Dhabi UAE
Here is a suggestion: If you ever find yourself fighting the software, either (a) you don't understand something, or (b) we don't understand something. So rather than continuing to fight and be unhappy and frustrated, send us an e-mail. We need to know what the issues are, or we can't improve the software.

Well let me add here, that Caesar II is a great software, making life easier for engineers. And let me tell you that, we are not complaining we are sharing what we experience as an end user with you.

Another thing, YES, if you send the query to COADE, they listen. Not only listen, they reply to their best. Some time they go to great length to solve problems for us.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics