Topic Options
#16358 - 02/28/08 10:45 PM Want to learn stress analysis
Mishra Offline

Loc: India
I am working in Pressure parts and piping Dept with a MNC in power plant.I want to learn stress analysis.Please suggest me how to initiate this?

#16365 - 02/29/08 01:26 AM Re: Want to learn stress analysis [Re: Mishra]
bhavesh k shukla Offline

Loc: india,gujarat
plz contact me

#16372 - 02/29/08 05:00 AM Re: Want to learn stress analysis [Re: bhavesh k shukla]
Mishra Offline

Thanks Shukla ji,
My Email id is arvindmishranith@gmail.com,plz send me some material for study.

#16395 - 02/29/08 12:32 PM Re: Want to learn stress analysis [Re: Mishra]
John Breen Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA (& Texas)
http://www.coade.com/ubbthreads/ubbthrea...h=true#Post5699

http://files.asme.org/asmeorg/Governance/Volunteer/CareerSeries/9655.pdf

also go to:

http://homepages.strath.ac.uk/~clas16/16426mas.htm

You will find "download-able" class notes that will explain a lot about

The Design of Pressurized Systems

Remember to thank Professor David Nash

Regards, John.

#16578 - 03/11/08 07:23 AM Re: Want to learn stress analysis [Re: bhavesh k shukla]
Avik Offline

hiiiiiiiiiii.i am new to this forum.i learned stress analysis by asking my senior againn and again and from live project.i heard there r some theoritical books abt stress analysis.could you please tell me frm where i can collect those books?also if you want give some tips on stress analysis

#16726 - 03/19/08 03:19 AM Re: Want to learn stress analysis [Re: Avik]
Omdo Offline

Loc: Indonesia
Avik,

Please find "introduction to Pipe Stress Analysis" book by Sam Kannapan, P.E. It would cover al the material you need for beginner & middle advanced

Cheers

#16732 - 03/19/08 08:41 AM Re: Want to learn stress analysis [Re: Omdo]
John Breen Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA (& Texas)
Avik,

Did you read ANYTHING that was posted above?

There are perhaps 5 books in print now (that you might want to read to give you the foundation to build your career upon) by these authors:

Becht (ASME)
Woods and Baguley (Casti)
Winngate (ASME)
Ellenberger (McGraw-Hill)
Nayyar (McGraw-Hill)
Perhaps Sherwood (Syentek - good practice)

Out-of-print books you want to read later
Kellogg (all that is holy)
Tube Turns (Markl Papers)
Smith and Van Laan (McGraw-Hill)
Kannappan (Krieger - 2 books)
There are others and there are several "free" publications that you should download and read.

Most of all you must read the Codes and Standards (e.g., ASME B31)

If you would go to the top of this page you will find a very useful "search" utility that you can use to search for previous discussions about very nearly any piping design topic. This discussion board has been operating for years and you should search for and read all previous "threads" relating to your subject of interest BEFORE you post asking for help.

Regards, John.

#16814 - 03/25/08 05:04 AM Re: Want to learn stress analysis [Re: John Breen]
Avik Offline

thanx john for your advice. as i am located in india i dont know how can i collect those above mentioned books.
P.S: i want to contant you through your email id. my email id is avik18bec@gmail.com.

Edited by Avik (03/25/08 05:08 AM)

#16826 - 03/25/08 07:58 AM Re: Want to learn stress analysis [Re: Avik]
Sid. Offline

Loc: Aberdeen
"as i am located in india i dont know how can i collect those above mentioned books"

The excuse is outrageous. Are you working in remote jungle where the internet access is not available or what? Dont you have basic internet access in office/ home/cafe? Doesnt your office have decent library, if not nearest university/British Council library?

Most of the books mentioned above are available for purchase on amazon, ebay, bookbutler.com, and many online bookseller websites. Now for god sake please dont say you dont have credit card. No offense intended.

Have you ever heard of GOOGLE? just for my curiosity.

Good luck.
Siddharth.

#16844 - 03/25/08 09:56 PM Re: Want to learn stress analysis [Re: Sid.]
Avik Offline

Thanx sidharth for your suggestio and sorry if i said any rubbish.i know those books are available on those sites but couldnot trust because of fear.thats why i asked for any book store.

#16848 - 03/26/08 03:29 AM Re: Want to learn stress analysis [Re: Avik]
Sid. Offline

Loc: Aberdeen
Avik

If I were you I would try persuade my seniors/manager to get these books in the office library. If not possible then no option but to spend from own pocket. Its worth in long term.

Other things you may try is frequest visits to used book sellers, you may find yourself lucky if you find some bargain. Check with your seniors they might have in their collection and may be happy to let you borrow! Other option is worth trying is if you find a group of 4/5 colleagues, each one can buy one of those books and share among yourselves. This should be the cheapest and most quickest way to get hands over all the books, depends on the group's mutual understanding though.

I believe there might be prints of some of these books officialy published in India to make it more affordable in local currency. You can try investigating! Few years back I would have taken aback by the foreign exchange prices as my months salary would have been less to buy a book published oveseas. But IMHO as of today the salaries in the consulting sector in India have shot up like anything hence bringing the expenditure in affordable region. Hope you wont disagree on this!

In regards to online transactions, I am no expert to advise, but there seem to be various possible options for the safe payment.

Good Luck,
Siddharth.

#16864 - 03/26/08 11:25 AM Re: Want to learn stress analysis [Re: Sid.]
Avik Offline

thank you sid for your suggestion.i feel very greatful to you.i want to be in touch with you with my personal id which is avik18bec@gmail.com.

regards
Avik

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics