Topic Options
#16086 - 02/20/08 04:31 AM ASME B31.3
Master Flex Offline

Loc: UK
Hello All!

Recently a project I am working on was audited by an external company. As well as the piping design, they wanted to take a look at the stress calcs. The piping had been designed to ASME B31.3 2006. The first question the auditor asked was what code and which edition we used for the calcs. My immediate response was that we used the latest edition of B31.3 (2006), but I didn't know where to check in Caesar. After further investigation I'm not sure.

I ran the calcs on Caesar II version 5.00.6.5. I am aware that there have been some code enhancements from 5.0 to 5.1.

I've tried searching the program for something that tells me what edition of B31.3 version 5.0 uses, but haven't had any luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

I have noticed that the input echo quotes allowable stresses to B31.3 2004, but it would have been awful handy to have had a quick come back when we had our audit last week.

Many Thanks!

#16087 - 02/20/08 04:41 AM Re: ASME B31.3 [Re: Master Flex]
Naren Offline

Loc: Qatar
Read first few lines of CODE Complience O/P report, you will get the answer.

-----------
Naren

-------------------------------
Everything has some flexibility

#16090 - 02/20/08 05:15 AM Re: ASME B31.3 [Re: Master Flex]
bom Offline

Loc: Manila, Philippines
Originally Posted By: Master Flex
I've tried searching the program for something that tells me what edition of B31.3 version 5.0 uses, but haven't had any luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

grin

I think those guys already know CaesarII and all you have to say is the version what your are running, but if they dont know caesarII then I think its their problem... whistle

Regards!

#16092 - 02/20/08 05:31 AM Re: ASME B31.3 [Re: bom]
LRB Offline

It would be better to have the Design Code presented upon the input screens rather than at the output stage when the calculation is complete.

#16093 - 02/20/08 06:18 AM Re: ASME B31.3 [Re: LRB]
Master Flex Offline

Thanks Naren.

I agree with LRB's comment. It would be useful if the edition of the code was also quoted at the input stage.

Bom - unfortunately the auditors weren't familiar with Caesar II. Although they had an understanding of why it was used, they were required to make an official examination across all the piping design - not just stress specific.

One other thing then....can anyone tell me what I'm missing out on, from a code perspective by using 5.0 instead of 5.1?

#16095 - 02/20/08 07:04 AM Re: ASME B31.3 [Re: Master Flex]
John C. Luf Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
download and read the revision text http://www.coade.com/dwnld/CAESARII/build.zip

John C. Luf

#16097 - 02/20/08 07:25 AM Re: ASME B31.3 [Re: John C. Luf]
Master Flex Offline

Cheers John, this helps clear things up for me.

Much appreciated!

#16099 - 02/20/08 08:20 AM Re: ASME B31.3 [Re: Master Flex]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
The Code Edition a particular version of CAESAR II complies to can be found in the Quick Reference Guide. (You can find that under "\help\on-line documentation".

The Code reference mentioned in the input is the "Code Edition". The Code reference in the output is the "Code Edition" and the "Addendum date".

#16114 - 02/20/08 01:22 PM Re: ASME B31.3 [Re: Richard Ay]
NozzleTwister Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas U.S.A.
MasterFlex,

My opinion is that stating the 'Code Edition' that your version of CAESAR is supports is the wrong answer.

What you need to know is, what is the 'Code of Record' for your project and that you are following that regardless of what 'Code Edition' your version of CAESAR uses.

'Codes of Record' are usaully the Code Editions that are in effect at the time the contract is signed at the beginning of the project. Many times the code editions are listed in the Project Contract, Project Execution Plan or other project documents issued by your company or the client.

You should also have a 'Pipe Stress Criteria' issued specificly for each project. In addition to re-stating the Codes and the edition of the codes that you are using, it should also outline the following:

1. Your scope, what you are going to review and what you are not, what will be by computer etc.
2. Outline your deliverables so there is no misunderstanding later.
3. Address the Wind and Seismic criteria.
4. Address transport and Motion Accelerations for floating platforms if applicable.
5. etc. etc.

Back to the 'Code of Record' discussion, you should be doing two things.

1. Checking that CAESAR is using the correct stress values and properties for your material.
2. And if not, manually modify your input to reflect the correct values.

CASEAR may not be wrong, but may just be using values from a different code edition than what your project is using.

This is YOUR resonsiblity and not COADE's.

Knowing and using the "Code of Record" for your project is important. Switching to the latest code edition mid-project may get you in trouble if stress values or flange ratings get revised.

That's my 2¢...

#16334 - 02/28/08 01:58 AM Re: ASME B31.3 [Re: NozzleTwister]
Master Flex Offline

Nozzle Twister,

Thanks for your comments, I have been out of office for a while.

Unfortunately I wasn't made aware of any 'Code of Record' set out for the project. I am well aware that this type of information should be available from the start through execution plans etc. Since posting this topic I this deficiency in the project has been highlighted by others.

I have been on some jobs where a 'Pipe Stress Criteria' has been established by the Lead Stress Engineer, but this project was conducted through a conttract term services agreement with a nearby process plant so the details regarding load cases and other particulars specific to the plant were already established through a joint venture procedure.

Either way there should have been some form of communication through the project so I could understand what technical commitments have been made with the client in the contract.

I wouldn't have switched to the latest code half way through the project, but this wasn't relevent to my question.

Thanks for your response.

I am still by comparison to many very new to this job so appreciate any advice I can get.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics