Topic Options
#1583 - 02/12/04 03:06 PM V4.50 - Check for Updates
Edward Klein Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
I'm currently getting familiar with V4.50 before it is deployed at my company. One area that looks like it's going to be a problem is the new Check for Updates option under HELP. Paulin is having this same problem and I find it rather surprising here as well. Apparently nobody in the programming world has heard of a Firewall.

When trying to use the update check, I get an error message saying that proxy authentication is required (which I knew before I tried) and then an error saying that it couldn't connect, try again later.

So far, I've not been able to find a place to enter my proxy information so Caesar can prompt me for my password to get to the internet.

Am I missing something, or did Coade miss this? Seems like the miscellaneous tab under Configure/Setup would be a good place for this.

All the world is a Spring

#1584 - 02/12/04 03:38 PM Re: V4.50 - Check for Updates
David Little Offline

Loc: houston, tx
Edward,

Our "Check for Update" uses the same background data transfer service that Windows uses when Microsoft has an update for you to install. The only difference is that we give the user the opportunity to run it at their leisure, rather than the Microsoft model of downloading first and asking later.

If you are having trouble downloading, you can ask your IT department to give CAESAR II the same permissions as Microsoft has for your Windows updates, or you can periodically check our website manually.

Our network is behind a firewall and we all use ZoneAlarm on each workstation and we have no problems downloading through the "Check for Updates" utility.

Regards,

David Little
COADE, Inc.
Houston, TX

#1585 - 02/16/04 08:13 AM Re: V4.50 - Check for Updates
Edward Klein Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Look, I know how this works. Whenever I go to the internet, whether it for an Update from MS or just to get to the Coade website, I get a popup window that asks me for my userid and passord. In the Internet Explorer configuration

Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings

We use the "Use Automatic Configuration Script" option to point the browser to the proxy server. The proxy server gives us the popup so we can gain access to the internet. The company uses this to control access to outside websites. We have the same problem with Paulin now as well with their new internet based authentication.

Now, there are a number of programs that I use that have the option to allow me to manually input the address of the proxy server so that the program can get me the popup window for me to get access to the internet. Without the ability to put the proxy address in Caesar, or for Caesar to access the link from the IE configuration, there's no way this tool is going to be usable.

As it is, we'll be sticking with the traditional method of one of us downloading the patch and putting it on our network somewhere so all our users can run it.

All the world is a Spring

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics