Topic Options
#15642 - 01/30/08 04:28 PM Recomended nozzle loads
nikola_jacimovic Offline

Loc: Serbia
Hello,

I have come across some recommendations for forces and moments on nozzles (something like good engineering practice). However I am not sure about the background of these recommendations, and I only have recommendations for nominal diameters from 36 to 48 in.
I would greately appreciate if anyone could help me out with this problem and send me recommendations for greater diameters, if there are any. Thank you in advance!

Nikola Jacimovic
Student
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
Belgrade, Serbia

#15657 - 01/31/08 02:29 AM Re: Recomended nozzle loads [Re: nikola_jacimovic]
vahid Offline

Loc: iran
hi nikola!
as i remember there is a table(maybe table 12)in API 560 concerning the subject.but its for small nozzels.i know there are this kind of tables in other codes(such as ASME).

#15668 - 01/31/08 09:11 AM Re: Recomended nozzle loads [Re: vahid]
Mandeep Singh Offline

Loc: Houston, Tx, USA
Hi Nikola,

This is my understanding of it,

Theoretically, you want to get the exact nozzle loads from the piping stress analysis and apply them to your vessel nozzle. But, many times when the vessel is being designed the piping is not yet analyzed. So, the nozzle loads are not available. But, as a starting point many engineering companies have developed these standard set of nozzle loads for various nozzle sizes and ratings. The vessel designer has to make sure that their nozzles can withstand them and the piping engineer makes sure that the the loads that their piping applies on the nozzle should not increase these standard loads.

These std. loads assure the engineering companies about certain level of strength in the nozzles, which has been shown to work with experience. So, these std. loads include the past experience of the engineering companies.

Many times the vessel fabricators, are given these std. loads to design from. In PV Elite (2007 and higher versions) you can enter these loads in the NozzleLoadTable.xls file stored in the System sub-directory and follow the instructions. Then, on the nozzle dialog -> Loads tab -> you can import the loads based on the nozzle type.

Hence, the idea is that the fabricator can enter these loads in the Excel file and over time build a database, then they can import these loads in to the program without having to d a look up every time.

You can use the NozzleLoadTable.xls file for a particular set of nozzle loads. Other companies probably have different sets (I have seen about 3).
Hexagon PPM

#15726 - 02/03/08 08:35 AM Re: Recomended nozzle loads [Re: Mandeep Singh]
nikola_jacimovic Offline

Loc: Serbia
Thank you both. Your advice was very helpful!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics