Topic Options
#14924 - 12/17/07 07:19 AM Tell me how?
machoguy Offline

Loc: Nigeria
Hi everyone,

Lastly, Im using CaesarII v4.5 and I had modelled several lines, after many days ago, our boss confirmed to us that our current project, the requirements for thermal stress calculations is caesarII v5.0. My questions are: confused

1. If I start CaesarII v5.0 and opened those existing files of CaesarII v.4.5,it cannot open unless if I change the extension to: pre(v3.24) or pre(v5.0), I was confused if which extension Im going to choose because both extension could be and how does it mean? Which is the right one and why? wink

2. If I started opening the existing files, there is a warning messages, if I choose "yes" and still keep the original data from the old version or "no" so I can update the data based on the current version data base. I test the results and compare and I found out there are very small differences between them and I think it is still allright. Can you advice what should I do?

I know its very simple questions but lots of confusions. I need your guidance guys because Im still new in pipe stress analysis..

#14925 - 12/17/07 08:12 AM Re: Tell me how? [Re: machoguy]
CraigB Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
v5.0 began storing files as "zipped" (.CAESAR II) files. Prior to that, each CAESAR II run was stored as about a dozen small files with different extensions, such as ._a, ._b, ._1, etc. If you open v5.0 or later, it looks for .CAESAR II file extensions. But you need to load the ._a file extensions. This is also relevant to "lost" files that occur when your system crashes with a model open; it will have all the unzipped files there instead of the zipped one.

My personal recommendation as to what to do with the minor changes in materials properties would be to keep the old properties ("yes") ONLY for revisiting analysis that has already been issued for construction and to update the materials properties for all work in progress. But you need to know the contractual terms for each project you are working on.

#14931 - 12/17/07 08:31 AM Re: Tell me how? [Re: CraigB]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Further to Craig's answer:

"Pre 3.24": input file names were of the form [jobname]_a. Note, there is no "period" before the "_a". As of Version 3.24 input file names were of the form [jobname]._a. Note, there is a "period" before the "_a".

"Pre 5.00": means the input filename format as of Version 3.24, i.e. [jobname]._a, with the "period".

So you have these three possibilities;
Version 1.00 to Version 3.23: [jobname]_a
Version 3.24 to Version 4.50: [jobname]._a
Version 5.00 and later: [jobname].c 2

Do not, under any circumstances, manually rename or change the jobname suffix. CAESAR II uses the extension form to tell how to read the job file. All input files are upward compatible to any later version - you don't have to do anything (other than select the file.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics