Topic Options
#11542 - 06/05/07 04:35 AM closed flare wye sif
sam Offline

Loc: Maharastra, India
It is unfortunate that in developing countries accidents occur in industries - not due to chance occurances - but due to low quality. For example, a lot of people expedite for speed, none check or audit in real sense to preserve quality. Without skilled and competent use of specialized softwares like Caesar-II & FEPIPE in worksharing projects, such accidents can now occur in developed world also.

For example, in a closed flare piping using a doubler unreinforced piping intersection a 45 deg wye connection fails; by manipulation in SIF, this will be cleared, neither checked, nor audited independently to fail in vibration & thermal fatigue eventually in plant leading to a major fire.

regards,

sam

#11545 - 06/05/07 07:02 AM Re: closed flare wye sif [Re: sam]
MoverZ Offline

Loc: Hants, UK
Sam,

Is this a general warning, or do you have something specific in mind ?

What is an unreinforced doubler ... contradiction in terms ?? Have you had a problem with SIF's on a 'wye' (you might mean a lateral tee ?)

Maybe you object to work-sharing, or perhaps you have no confidence in 'low cost centre' engineers ?

Is there any difference in a 'developed' or 'developing world' accident ?

Er, um ....
MoverZ

#11547 - 06/05/07 07:06 AM Re: closed flare wye sif [Re: MoverZ]
John C. Luf Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
I suspect Sam is just bemoaning something he has seen or been party to. He often is a witness to poor decision making... as we all are to some extent.

John C. Luf

#11558 - 06/06/07 12:21 AM Re: closed flare wye sif [Re: John C. Luf]
sam Offline

Luf Sir is right. It's just a general note.

No difference in a 'developed' or 'developing world' accident except in scale & public reaction. These could have been avoided if we had serious independent review & audit processes inbuilt.

So far as confidence in 'low cost centre' engineers is considered, it seems to be a political question which I myself - an analyst - avoid to comment on. Is it wrong to ask for 'skilled and competent use of specialized softwares' ?

For example, to get cheap medicine if we depend on the advise of doctors from some place where doctor aspirants & their jobs are chosen not on merit, but by birth and caste, their is matter of worry! We can be negligent with dog food - but, with chemical process industries or refineries, it is too dangerous!

regards,

sambhu

#11560 - 06/06/07 01:30 AM Re: closed flare wye sif [Re: sam]
Siv Offline

Loc: india
Sam,
I don't know what made you start this thread. But is it correct to term all the work done in developing countries as lacking in quality?
You might have had some bad experiences but please don't generalise to say that all the engineers in this part of the world are good for nothing cheats.
Is sincerety, honesty, knowledge only owned by rich? I believe this is an individual quality . We have a lot of very good ,intelligient, honest people here in developing countries,and the developed world has also a lot of people who don't have these qualities.
As far as your example of doctors is concerned, you are correct that this reservation policy is only harming our nation.But this is not the proper forum for discussing this issue.Most of the people in developed world except social scientists and some economists may not be interested in our social structures and govt policies.
Since I belong to this part of the world (India) and understand that you also have your origin here, It hurts to read such things which bring disrepute to our nation.
Can we treat this forum as techical forum only? There are may blog sites available for personal issues.
Regards
Siv
P.S.---- It's not my intent to hurt anybody's feelings,but don't want mine to be hurt either.

#11561 - 06/06/07 02:53 AM Re: closed flare wye sif [Re: Siv]
sam Offline

Dear Siv,

I didn't intend to hurt you or anyone else. Neither did I termed 'all the work done in developing countries as lacking in quality'. But, my view is not based on my personal experience only. We, professionals, when critize in constructive spirit, don't bring disrepute to our nations - at least, not so in the long run. Our education policy & standard of education will not become a matter of discussion when it will not affect the global community.

If some of our people consider B 31.3 as complete design cookbook & good softwares like Caesar-II & FEPIPE/NOZZLEPRO as child's toys to play with & churn report using SIFs of their wish without adult supervision, don't you expect some 'bemoaning'( in Luf Sir's terms)! Will will remain satisfied in this sorry state & feel proud for that!

regards,

sam

#11562 - 06/06/07 06:00 AM Re: closed flare wye sif [Re: sam]
John C. Luf Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Ahh Sam take heart Stupidity along with Brilliance is a world-wide phenomena. I have seen work done badly here as well. All one can do is always do their best, strive towards knowledge and try to educate good students.

I am working for a Chemical Company right now whose decisions are frankly very scary. I will make a very strong attempt to keep things going well, but if one person or another insists on making a bad decision its their call in the end (thats what B31.3 actually states in a sense)

So in the end we all do only what we can do, not all of us have the strength or wisdom of the great man of India Gahndi.

John C. Luf

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics