Topic Options
#11371 - 05/22/07 12:59 PM code.standard
Jozm Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi friends
are there any differences between codes and standards?
if yes what are those?
regards

#11372 - 05/22/07 06:21 PM Re: code.standard [Re: Jozm]
John C. Luf Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
your simple question belies your knowledge... various codes cover specific industry groups and specific parts of the world. German is a western Language as is English but neither are intelligible to each other.

John C. Luf

#11373 - 05/22/07 07:10 PM Re: code.standard [Re: John C. Luf]
Mike Kowal Offline

Loc: Perth, Australia
Jozm,

I think your question is, what is the difference between a code and a standard?
See the ASME website for their definition in the following link
http://www.asme.org/Codes/About/FAQs/Codes_Standards.cfm

regards

#11374 - 05/23/07 12:41 AM Re: code.standard [Re: Mike Kowal]
Jozm Offline

Loc: Canada
Thanks mike
i found it in your link.
A code is a standard that has been adopted by one or more governmental bodies and has the force of law.
regards

#11379 - 05/23/07 08:59 AM Re: code.standard [Re: Jozm]
SLH Offline

Loc: Edmonton
I'd also look at "local jurisdictional requirements". It may be that some standards are also so adopted (as it apprears to be in my local jurisdiction). So, I'd be inclined to say "typically a code has been adopted as law somewhere" rather than "a code has been".

And of course, I'm sure you know that codes and standards don't replace "good engineering judgement".

And the final one is "recommended practices" which seem to be early drafts of some standards.

-Shannon
(who apparently believes in erring on the side of "too much information")

PS, so which government body adopted "standard temperature and pressure" maybe I should move there. (grin).

#11380 - 05/23/07 09:09 AM Re: code.standard [Re: SLH]
John C. Luf Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
"PS, so which government body adopted "standard temperature and pressure" maybe I should move there. (grin)."

Some states here in the U.S.A. have adopted specific piping codes for some specific types of piping systems.

The same can be said for Boiler and Pressure vessels as well. In Europe coverages vary somewhat but in the EU itself the PED is adopted as law I believe.

So where you are is an important consideration.

John C. Luf

#11381 - 05/23/07 09:54 AM Re: code.standard [Re: John C. Luf]
CraigB Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
And this entire discussion overlooks the issue of "company standards," which you likely have to follow for no better reason other than to remain employed. But for most of us, that likely takes precedence over laws that are in force in parts of the world we have no plans to visit.

Also note that other industry bodies (ASM, for example, which oversees the maintenance of the ASTM family of standards) may well have different distinctions between the meanings of "Codes" and "Standards." And ASCE-7 and the IBC, which regulate structural design in the US [and therefore seismic analysis of piping systems], are commonly considered to be "Codes," although they both have the force of law in all the civilized states (California still has not adopted the IBC as far as I know).

So there may be no consistent distinction between the meaning of the two terms. One more reason why you're never going to see any reputable university offering an undergraduate degree in "Piping Stress Analysis."

:-)

Edited by CraigB (05/23/07 09:54 AM)

#11394 - 05/24/07 03:38 AM Re: code.standard [Re: CraigB]
G P SenthilKumar Offline

Loc: chennai
This is the definition

Code: A group of general rules or systamatic standards for design, materials,fabrication, installation and inspection prepared in such a manner that it can be adobted by a legal jurisdiction and made into law.

Standard : Documents prepared by a professional group having requirements believed to be good and proper engineering practice and which are written with mandatory requirements.

regards
senthil

#11395 - 05/24/07 08:11 AM Re: code.standard [Re: G P SenthilKumar]
SLH Offline

Loc: Edmonton

Well, actually I'd say that is _a_ definition rather than _the_ definition. Another would be that a standard is the more fun car to drive.

Shannon apparently in a nit-picky mood today.
(and her 3 standards).

From www.m-w.com
Standard
3 : something established by authority, custom, or general consent as a model or example : CRITERION
4 : something set up and established by authority as a rule for the measure of quantity, weight, extent, value, or quality

Code
1 : a systematic statement of a body of law; especially : one given statutory force
2 : a system of principles or rules

Originally Posted By: senthil
This is the definition

Code: A group of general rules or systamatic standards for design, materials,fabrication, installation and inspection prepared in such a manner that it can be adobted by a legal jurisdiction and made into law.

Standard : Documents prepared by a professional group having requirements believed to be good and proper engineering practice and which are written with mandatory requirements.

regards
senthil

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics