Career Oppertunity Overseas

Posted by: dpb

Career Oppertunity Overseas - 07/23/15 07:23 PM

I am looking for a job opportunity in the US. I am Australian and can get an E-3 visa with sponsorship. I am looking to live and work in the US for several years, ideally 3+. I have a wife and 2 kids and we would like to experience life living and working overseas for a time before the kids are older.

I am having trouble finding a job or getting any responses to my applications. I understand it is more complicated hiring someone who needs to get a visa and if an employer was presented with 2 similar candidates, one requiring a visa and could not start for 4-8 weeks....

So i am here asking for some "boots on the ground" info.
What is the job market like in the US presently?
Does anyone know of US employers hiring Au/UK/NZ/Canadian employees?
Is it common?
Would anyone recommend acquiring a SPED certification (Piping Designer II)

If anyone is looking for a piping designer I can make my resume available. Briefly, I have 7.5 years experience designing skid packaged equipment from 5 to 75 tonne, Associate Degree in Mechanical Technology, 7.5 years exp. with CADWorx Plant 3D, Navisworks, CADWorx administration exp.
Posted by: Rocker

Re: Career Oppertunity Overseas - 07/28/15 09:39 AM

Don't know how much luck you'll have at this point in time. The Canadian O&G economy is pretty much in the tank right now due to low commodity prices, and the US one is hurting also; this trickles down to anything related to oil & gas piping design.
Posted by: Ray_Delaforce

Re: Career Oppertunity Overseas - 07/28/15 11:08 AM

Hello dpb

I came to the to the US from South Africa. However, I came here on spec and managed to get a job after two months as a vessel engineer. I had a rocky start, but landed on my feet. You need enough money to support yourself for at least three months, and the return fare to collect you family. Houston is the where you would have a better chance of employment.

There are contract firms here who hire contract labour, and that may be your best bet. However, remember, Australia is a great place, so make sure your family supports you 110%, and you are ready to make the sacrifice.