Multiple openings in Blind - UG-39(e) - BUG?

Posted by: bytejuice

Multiple openings in Blind - UG-39(e) - BUG? - 07/02/22 05:09 AM

Problem:
ASME VIII Div.1
Flat head bolted BLIND with "G"=368mm and "C"=425mm with two 4"x6.02 (ID. 102.26mm) nozzles set-in spaced 210mm across main axes.

I am falling in UG-39(e) so I must do the check if average diameter of openings is greater than one-quarter the head diameter.

As per fig UG-34(j) the Head diameter ("p") for bolted blind is the "G" (mean diameter) of the gasket; instead PVE uses "C" bolting diameter.

Am I wrong and there are other rules I dont know or there is a bug in the software?
thank you

B.J.

Re: Multiple openings in Blind - UG-39(e) - BUG? - 07/02/22 11:10 AM

Problem:
ASME VIII Div.1
Flat head bolted BLIND with "G"=368mm and "C"=425mm with two 4"x6.02 (ID. 102.26mm) nozzles set-in spaced 210mm across main axes.

I am falling in UG-39(e) so I must do the check if average diameter of openings is greater than one-quarter the head diameter.

As per fig UG-34(j) the Head diameter ("d") for bolted blind is the "G" (mean diameter) of the gasket; instead PVE uses "C" bolting diameter.

Am I wrong and there are other rules I dont know or there is a bug in the software?
thank you

B.J.
Added 2 files
Posted by: mariog

Re: Multiple openings in Blind - UG-39(e) - BUG? - 07/04/22 09:10 AM

Have you defined a full-face gasket in input?

Re: Multiple openings in Blind - UG-39(e) - BUG? - 07/05/22 03:48 AM

No, the gasket is not bejond bolt diameter center line.
In fact gasket is OD.378 ID.358 and BDC is 465mm.

I used the "Evaluated uniform patterned holes"

Instead, if I use "add nozzle" command on the blind and insert the two nozzles, the check is right (PVE uses G/4 correctly) and the warning about UG-39 not satisfied appears.

BJ
Posted by: mariog

Re: Multiple openings in Blind - UG-39(e) - BUG? - 07/05/22 12:13 PM

I think that option works for blind flanges and on the Flange dialog must indicate that is a blind flange, etc. But I'm in vacation and cannot check it makes any difference...