ASME Material with PD code.

Posted by: gl

ASME Material with PD code. - 06/17/04 04:59 PM

Hi Ray,

One of my clients is designing vessel with PD5500 code using ASME material. Since PD5500 code is selected as the design code, the PD 5500 material DB will be used.

(1)Am i right to advice him to input the ASME material propeties into the PD material DB and start using the materials?

(2)It is not as easy and straightforward to do this in the program. Units of measurement are different.

(3)The intervals of temperature of ASME(in F) are different from PD 5500(in degree C). To overcome this problem, i have advice the user to convert to a common set of units. Example, allowable stress for SA-240 Gr 317L is 137.895MPA at 37.8. We did an interpolation so that we can enter into the PD 5500 DB which is at 50 degree C interval. Please advice if we are right so far?

(4) What should be done with regards to the additional fields that the material does not have in ASME and vice versa? (Band/S factor/thickness range/ruling section/design life time/etc.)

(5) PLease advice what are the values of a material that will be used during calculation.

(6) According to 2.3.3.3 of PD 5500, the code allows use of non-BS material with conditions. Material design stress = Re(T)/1.35. My client has thus converted the stress values of ASME material into MPA and interpolated so that we can find stress values at 50 degree C interval. These values are then divided by 1.35 before entering into the PD 5500 material DB. Please advice if this is correct.

(7) According to PD 3.5.4.3.7 for disimilar materal stated that the ratio of design stress of nozzle to shell shall be between 0.6 - 1.5. Will PVElite prompt if the ratio falls out of the range?
Posted by: Miera81

Re: ASME Material with PD code. - 09/17/20 08:27 AM

Hi Ray,

Can you advise on this matters
Posted by: Miera81

Re: ASME Material with PD code. - 09/17/20 08:29 AM

Hi Ray,

One of my clients is designing vessel with PD5500 code using ASME material. Since PD5500 code is selected as the design code, the PD 5500 material DB will be used.

Can use switch to ASME material database, but using PD 5500 code