G-Loading Seismic Data

Posted by: Guilherme

G-Loading Seismic Data - 10/17/12 06:57 AM

Hi.

I have a question about the use of seismic loading in PVElite.

I’m using the G-Loading Seismic Design Code and I have the maximum accelerations of the equipment with gravity effects Ax(g), Ay(g) and Az(g).

So, my doubt is: to input the Gx, Gy and Gz, should I have to divide Ax(g), Ay(g) and Az(g) to the gravity acceleration (g = 9,806m/s²) or just input them just the way they are informed?

Regards,

Guilherme
Posted by: mariog

Re: G-Loading Seismic Data - 10/18/12 02:23 AM

Earthquake Loading Specified in G's
Horizontal Acceleration factor (GX) 0.170
Horizontal Acceleration factor (GZ) 0.170
Vertical Acceleration factor (GY) 0.100

I understand from such information that Horizontal acceleration is 0.17*g on X direction, etc.

IMO, the information given by codes are also as fraction of "g".
For example working under UBC Zone 2B/ and Z=0.2 means to have a PGA=0.2g (see the explanation in UBC 97 1631.2) which is PGA at T=0, without taking into account soil amplifications effects.
Depending on soil amplifications and specific T, we may have PGA expressed by other coefficients as Ca=0.35, Cv=0.64 etc (in fact we have a spectrum as defined in UBC 97).
In the end of calculation we apply these coefficients to W=mass*g; this is equivalent to say we apply accelerations as Ca*g, Cv*g to the mass which is subject to earthquake load.

Best regards.

Posted by: mayank

Re: G-Loading Seismic Data - 11/04/12 11:50 AM

Hi,

I saw one webinar of PV Elite in which it is told to apply transportation loading by giving 'g' values in different directions.
My question is that which option is better to apply transportation loading- by apply various factors in g loading or by applying fractions of weight of vessel at center of gravity of vessel and please give valid reason for that?

Any Help will be highly Appreciated.

Re: G-Loading Seismic Data - 06/03/13 12:42 PM

pl. reply.
Posted by: KunalShah

Re: G-Loading Seismic Data - 06/10/13 01:39 AM

Hi Mayank,
It would be always more accurate to apply value of g, instead of applying forces at CG of model. This is because, applying g, applies forces (due to weight of element) at cg of each element in model, simulating more closer effect of inertia. More the number of elements in model, more accurate the results will be.

Re: G-Loading Seismic Data - 08/23/13 12:21 AM

Thanks Mr. Kunal.

But will you please elaborate how PV Elite is analyzing saddles by giving g loading in seismic data.

I found that PV Elite is calculating Earthquake height & earthquake weight in results.

Will you please tell how PV Elite is calculating these two parameters?
Posted by: Mukesh

Re: G-Loading Seismic Data - 09/25/13 08:50 AM

Guilherme,

Will you let me know the values available with you?

Thanks.

Mukesh B. Chopra
theculminates@yahoo.com
+91-9428500192